Lack of safety in India scaring off women tourists

Updated 02 April 2013
0

Lack of safety in India scaring off women tourists

NEW DELHI: The rape and murder of a young woman in New Delhi in December followed by two attacks on foreign female travelers has altered how tourists view India and led to a sharp fall in the numbers of foreign tourists, especially women, a study said.
In the three months since that attack, the number of foreigners travelling to India has dropped by 25 percent, according to the study by the New Delhi-based Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
The number of women tourists has dropped by 35 percent, the study released late Sunday said.
The gang rape of the 23-year-old university student on a bus in the heart of the Indian capital shocked a country often inured to such sexual violence. It brought hundreds of thousands of angry citizens out in the streets to demand more safety for women and harsher laws to deter the perpetrators of such acts.
The study surveyed 1,200 tour operators from across the country who said that "concerns about the safety of female travelers" had impacted how foreign travelers viewed India.
Since the December gang rape there have been two widely publicized incidents where foreign female travelers have been attacked.
Last month a Swiss woman was gang raped in central India as she and her husband camped in a remote forest. In the second incident a young British woman says she was forced to jump out of the window of her hotel room to avoid a sexual attack in Agra, the city that is home to the Taj Mahal.
According to the study, the three incidents have hurt tourism and nearly 72 percent of the tour operators said cancelations of holiday bookings came mostly from women tourists, most of them from Britain, the United States, Canada and Australia.
The study said that travelers planning trips to India had instead opted for other Asian countries such as Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam.
The winter months from November to March mark the peak tourist season in India.
According to India's Tourism Ministry, 6.6 million foreign tourists visited India in 2012, earning the country $ 17.74 billion in foreign exchange.


Nurse dead in Congo as Ebola vaccination campaign starts

Updated 11 min 31 sec ago
0

Nurse dead in Congo as Ebola vaccination campaign starts

  • The have so far been 27 deaths in this latest outbreak of the killer disease
  • There are plans to distribute a vaccine which is due to have started Monday

KINSHASA, Congo: Congo’s health minister says a nurse has died from Ebola in Bikoro, the rural northwestern town where the outbreak began, as the country begins a vaccination campaign.
Health Minister Oly Ilunga said late Sunday that the nurse’s death brings the death toll to 27. There are now 49 hemorrhagic fever cases: 22 confirmed as Ebola, 21 probable and 6 suspected.
Ilunga said two patients have recovered from Ebola, returning home.
Congo’s health delegation, including the health minister, and representatives of the World Health Organization and United Nations have arrived in Mbandaka, the northwestern city of more than 1 million where Ebola has spread, to launch the vaccination campaign Monday. The ministry said it will take five days to target health care workers and 100 registered contacts in the city.