Submissions for Saudi film festival extended

Updated 04 April 2013
0

Submissions for Saudi film festival extended

Officials at the Saudi film festival increased the window for submission in the category of short Saudi films to 15 days. Mamdouh Salem, director of Saudi film festival, told Arab News that the submission time for Saudi films was originally intended for April 1 but has been extended to April 15. The film festival will begin from May 1 on Rotana Movies.
“We have extended the deadline to encourage more Saudi filmmakers to participate with their films. We have received 55 short Saudi films so far, out of which 30 to 40 films will be shown at the film festival,” said Salem.
Head of the Rotana channel and organizer of the Saudi film festival Turki Al-Shabana, said that this extension was permitted to maximize participation.
Applicants who want to participate in the Saudi Film Festival can submit applications through their website www.saudiff.com.
Salem said this festival will allow creative filmmakers in Saudi Arabia to showcase their talent.
Different categories will be aired, including feature films, short films, documentaries, animated films and films that highlight the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s cultural development and civilization and stimulate the creative side of the film industry.
“We hope that a wide range of talented Saudi filmmakers will become involved in this 2nd Saudi Film Festival and to continue the process of promoting the Saudi film industry this year. Success in the past could be attributed to the participation of Saudi youth. We have opened the doors once again to concentrate on the area of filmmaking,” added Salem.


Weinstein reaches deal to settle civil proceedings for $44 million: report

Updated 24 May 2019
0

Weinstein reaches deal to settle civil proceedings for $44 million: report

  • The deal, which has not yet been signed, aims to cover all civil proceedings filed against the fallen Hollywood mogul
  • The settlement does not exempt Weinstein from the criminal proceedings brought against him for sexual assault

NEW YORK: Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein has reached a provisional $44 million settlement with alleged victims and creditors, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The deal, which has not yet been signed, aims to cover all civil proceedings filed against the fallen Hollywood mogul, including those in Canada and the United Kingdom.
Weinstein’s spokesperson denied to comment.
The settlement does not exempt Weinstein from the criminal proceedings brought against him for sexual assault, for which he will go on trial in September.
Weinstein — a catalyst for the #MeToo anti-harassment movement — has been charged over the alleged assaults of two women and faces life in prison if he is convicted at the trial, which could last five weeks.
In addition to the alleged victims and creditors, the settlement covers the proceedings started by former New York state attorney general Eric Schneiderman, who has been succeeded by Letitia James.
The proceedings aim specifically to guarantee the alleged victims will be compensated.
James’s spokesperson also declined to comment.
The settlement amount will be paid out by insurance agencies, the Journal reported, several of which count The Weinstein Company, the production company Weinstein co-founded, among their clients.
Since October 2017, Weinstein — one of the most powerful men in Hollywood before a cascade of sexual misconduct allegations precipitated his downfall — has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by more than 80 women.
Among his accusers are prominent actresses such as Ashley Judd, Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek.