1,000 arrive in Jeddah on Japanese Peace Boat

Updated 25 April 2013

1,000 arrive in Jeddah on Japanese Peace Boat

The Japanese “Peace Boat” arrived in Jeddah yesterday, carrying 1,000 passengers, including a number of Hiroshima survivors.
They were received by Nizar Madani, state minister for foreign affairs, and a number of Saudi officials.
The Peace Boat is a nonprofit nongovernmental organization based in Tokyo concerned mainly with promoting world peace, human rights, equality, sustainable development and environment protection.
It has already made 100 trips since it was first launched in 1983 as an Asian initiative that later expanded to other areas.
Jun Yoshida, the Japanese consul general, said the Peace Boat shows Japan’s determination to spread peace across the world. He said his country has been watching events in the Middle East and seeks to find lasting, peaceful solutions that will guarantee stability in the region.
This is the boat’s second visit to Saudi Arabia and has provided Japanese people the opportunity to become acquainted with Saudi culture and the country’s historic sites.
At Saudi stalls at the harbor, Japanese passengers can buy various souvenirs and handmade objects created by Saudi families and craftsmen.
They can also visit a “desert camp” that can accommodate 1,000 people, which features folk shows and cultural performances.
Visitors can also go to the tower at Jeddah Islamic Port, where 150 people will be chosen to listen to lectures on Saudi Arabia’s role in world peace and the promotion of dialogue among various countries.
Passengers will be given English language pamphlets about Saudi Arabia and receive copies of a book entitled “Voice of change.” Another book, entitled “Islam’s Position on Terrorism and Extremism,” will also be distributed.


Drones hit Aramco plant, Houthis claim responsibiltiy

Updated 55 min 10 sec ago

Drones hit Aramco plant, Houthis claim responsibiltiy

  • Houthis claim responsibility for the attack on the plant
  • The drones hit the plant, causing a small fire that was quickly extinguished

DUBAI: The Saudi energy minister Khalid Al-Falih has confirmed that a drone strike hit the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction facility causing a small fire on Saturday.

In a statement condemning the attack, Falih said there had been “no injuries” and that the fire had been put out after the several drones were fired at the plant.

“This cowardly attack once again highlights the importance of the international community's response to all terrorist agents who carry out such acts of sabotage, including the Iran backed Houthi militias,” Falih said in the statement.

The Houthis later claimed responsibility for the attack.

“Saudi Aramco’s response team controlled a limited fire this morning at the Shaybah NGL facility,” a statement released on the oil giant’s website read.

“There were no injuries and no interruptions to Saudi Aramco’s oil operations. We will provide further details as they become available.”

The Houthis have carried out a number of attacks on Saudi Arabia in recent weeks and months, targeting residential areas and airports.