Search ends for 100 miners believed dead



Agence France Presse

Published — Sunday 5 May 2013

Last update 5 May 2013 4:26 am

| نسخة PDF Send to Friend Print News | A A

KHARTOUM: The search for about 100 workers believed to have died inside a collapsed gold mine in Sudan’s Darfur region has ended after nine rescuers also became trapped, a colleague of the miners said yesterday.
“Today the searching has stopped because it was too dangerous,” the man said from the scene of the tragedy in Jebel Amir district, more than 200 km northwest of North Darfur state capital El Fasher. The unlicensed desert mine began to collapse on Monday, and several days later the stench of death was seeping out of the baked earth.
Nine rescuers disappeared Thursday when the earth collapsed around them, the miner said, adding that eight bodies had been recovered.
It was not clear whether they were rescuers or miners.

Events & Exhibitions

Stay Connected

Facebook