Black Caps keen to take England’s best shots at Lord’s



ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Thursday 16 May 2013

Last update 16 May 2013 2:15 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

LONDON: The chance to beat a desperate England is mouthwatering to New Zealand skipper Brendon McCullum.
England has been ordered to atone for the drawn series in New Zealand in March or face consequences after the two-Test return leg begins at Lord’s on Thursday.
McCullum said the Black Caps were ready to take England’s best shots.
“This challenge is going to be a lot harder, England will be more aware of us,” he said on Wednesday. “They’re in their own backyard. Their bowlers will be able to swing the ball a bit more than they did back home where they struggled with the Kookaburra ball. They will be a far more dangerous proposition, and their batsmen are clinical at home from recent history.
“But we’ve got guys who will be favored in these conditions as well, especially our bowling unit. We know we’re going to have to be on our game. It’s pretty mouth-watering.”
When England selector Geoff Miller named his team last week, he accused them of “going through the motions” in New Zealand, under-performing and told them to rectify the results. Captain Alastair Cook played down questions on Wednesday of any harsh words between the team and selectors.
Cook remembered they were confident and ready before the series in New Zealand, where England was fortunate to finish with three draws.
“In hindsight, it’s easy to start picking faults,” Cook said. “We looked for reasons behind closed doors and that’s where they’ll remain. But it wasn’t about a lack of attitude.”
McCullum believed England wasn’t disrespectful of the Kiwis, but rather the first day of that series set the tone, when England was bowled out for 167 by tea in Dunedin. That raised New Zealand’s confidence, he said, and ate away at England’s.
McCullum received plaudits after the series for shading Cook with his aggressive, creative moves, but the Kiwi said it was easier for him as his team was either on a par with or in front of England.
“The next challenge for me is when we find ourselves behind in a game and getting them back in the contest,” he said.
Despite being prepared to take risks, he said he preferred to think he was making “educated gambles.”
“Just because you run past the principal’s office doesn’t mean you’re not doing your homework,” McCullum said.
The damp, colder-than-usual weather in late spring could make both teams start without full-time spinners. The teams are expected to wake up on match day to sunshine that will be gone after lunch and may not come back for the rest of the match.
It means Graeme Swann, whose class and conviviality was sorely missed by England in New Zealand, might miss out after recovering from his elbow operation, while New Zealand could be without Bruce Martin, who has also had a lack of wickets to contend with.
Cook said playing without Swann was an option, while McCullum was more direct: Either Martin or a four-seamer attack including Doug Bracewell.
“This is a huge series for us to regain the consistency we showed back home,” McCullum said, “to show our fighting instincts and innovations from home, and replicate those in foreign conditions against a team that’s confident at home.”
Lineups:
England (from): Alastair Cook (captain), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Nick Compton, Steve Finn, Matt Prior, Joe Root, Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott.
New Zealand (from): Brendon McCullum (New Zealand), Peter Fulton, Hamish Rutherford, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Dean Brownlie, BJ Watling, Tim Southee, Bruce Martin, Neil Wagner, Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

SYDNEY: Amnesty International has demanded that Mustafa Al-Hosawi, a Saudi prisoner at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, be treated for the torture he underwent at the hands of the CIA.The US branch of the organization sent a message to health officials at the...
JEDDAH: The city’s airport staff saved a 20-year-old woman who tried to throw herself from the upper floor to the mezzanine floor in the southern hall. Sources said the suicide attempt was due to family disputes. Administrators said a supervisor in t...
RIYADH: Education Minister Ahmad Al-Issa has ordered to gradually close down private night schools beginning from the current year. The closure of these schools will be complete by 1439H.Al-Issa’s decision is based on reports of a body, which highlig...
Jeddah: The Criminal Court in Jeddah has sentenced a man to nine months in jail for beating his wife and insulting her by calling her “stubborn and ignorant.” The man has also been required to make a written pledge not to go near his wife, while the...
MUNICH: Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister defended his country’s treatment of women on Friday, saying it had made progress on female education but would take time to let them drive cars.“When it comes to issues like women’s driving, this is not a relig...
RIYADH: A cross-section of Saudi society on Friday denounced the Jazan massacre that shook the nation on Thursday, when a gunman went on the rampage killing seven education officials and injuring several others in Al-Dair governorate.The culprit, ide...
JEDDAH: Maj. Gen. Awad Al-Balawi, head of the Saudi Border Guard, recently confirmed the expansion of the employment program for women within the border security sector. He said that the sector is entering a new phase as women will be employed in a n...
RIYADH: A medical team of the King Abdullah Specialist Children’s Hospital (KASCH) at the King Abdulaziz Medical City (National Guard) here have successfully conducted the first liver transplant on a baby boy. Fahad Mari Said Al-Sairdh, father of the...
JEDDAH: The Makkah Investigation and Prosecution Board reintroduced the crane crash incident to the Riyadh Investigation and Prosecution Board recently, adding 10 more employees and supervisors from different government agencies before the courts. Th...
JEDDAH: The teacher who gunned down seven education officials in Al-Dair governorate on Thursday had been showing behavioral problems in recent days, Al-Janob Misfer Al-Subhan, director of King Faisal Secondary School in Dharan, was quoted as saying...
JEDDAH: The Human Rights Commission (HRC) is investigating the Nakheel Mall case, in which a girl was beaten up by a group of Haia members, an official of the commission has said. “The HRC is supposed to guarantee the rights of those harmed, whoever...
AL-AHSA: King Faisal University (KFU) in Al-Ahsa is currently studying the possibility of admitting female students to specialize in veterinary medicine, the director of the university, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Saati, confirmed. He said the matter has been p...
JEDDAH: A fingerprinting campaign, titled “Imprint Homeland,” against extremism and terrorism, was launched at the Jeddah corniche on Thursday night. The drive will cover all the 17 regions of Makkah province.The campaign, initiated by the Makkah gov...
RIYADH: The number of unemployed Saudi nationals reached 647,000 by the end of last year, of whom 56 percent, or 363,800, hold bachelor’s degrees or licenses. Female bachelor’s degree and license holders accounted for three-fourths of unemployed Saud...
RIYADH: Four citizens have been arrested in two murder cases, one of which was a road rage. One of the suspects resisted arrest and even opened fire on the police, but no one was injured.According to the Riyadh police, a clinic informed them that it...

Stay Connected

Facebook