Govt offers Turks apology, but protests continue



The Associated Press

Published — Wednesday 5 June 2013

Last update 6 June 2013 12:55 am

| نسخة PDF Send to Friend Print News | A A

ANKARA: Turkey’s deputy prime minister offered an apology for a violent crackdown on an environmental protest, in a bid to appease days of anti-government rallies across Turkey as hundreds of riot police deployed around the prime minister’s office in the capital yesterday.
Bulent Arinc, who is standing in for the prime minister while he is out of the country, said the crackdown was “wrong and unjust.”
It was unclear, however, whether Arinc was giving the government line. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is visiting Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, has undermined statements by his ministers in the past. He has previously called protesters “looters” and dismissing the protest as acts by fringe extremists.
Thousands have joined anti-government rallies across Turkey since Friday, when police launched a pre-dawn raid against a peaceful sit-in protesting plans to uproot trees in Istanbul’s main Taksim Square.
Since then, the demonstrations by Turks have spiraled into Turkey’s biggest anti-government disturbances in years, and have spread to many of the biggest cities.
A 22-year-old man died during an anti-government protest in a city near the border with Syria, with officials giving conflicting reports on what caused his death.
Speaking yesterday, Arinc said that, “in that first (protest) action, the excessive violence exerted on people who were acting out of environmental concerns was wrong and unjust.” He added, “I apologize to those citizens.”
Arinc said the government was “sensitive” to the demands of the largely urban, pro-secular section of society that had not voted for Erdogan’s Islamic-rooted party.
“I would like to express this in all sincerity: everyone’s lifestyle is important to us and we are sensitive to them.” The Hatay province governor’s office initially said the man who died, Abdullah Comert, was shot Monday during a demonstration in the city of Antakya. It backtracked after the province’s chief prosecutor’s office said an autopsy showed Comert had received a blow to the head and that there was no trace of a gunshot wound.
Gov. Celalettin Lekesiz did not respond to a journalist’s question as to whether the man may have died after being hit in the head by a gas canister. Arinc said the government was taking “all measures” to ensure that similar “bad incidents” were not repeated as police subdued protests.
Clashes continued late into the night Monday in Istanbul, Ankara and other cities, but Arinc said the more violent protests were subsiding.
Yesterday, hundreds of riot police backed by water cannons were stationed around Ankara’s main square near the prime minister’s office.

In Istanbul, many people slept in the shade of trees on the grass of the park that sparked the protests, while others walked around with bags cleaning up trash. Protesters have set up an area in the center where they’re collecting food donations.
On Taksim, protesters sat under makeshift awnings. Overturned cars and burned-out vans stood on the edges and further in the square, spray-painted with graffiti.

Events & Exhibitions

Stay Connected

Facebook