Tabuk — land of historical landmarks



JEDDAH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Saturday 22 June 2013

Last update 23 June 2013 5:40 am

| نسخة PDF Send to Friend Print News | A A

Tabuk is one of the leading tourist and commercial centers in the Kingdom. Tourists are attracted by its historical landmarks such as stone inscription, ancient buildings, fortresses and wells that are thousands of years old apart from a mosque believed to be associated with the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
It was originally built with mud and roofed with palm trunk trees. It was restored in 1652 AD and finally its complete renewal was ordered by the late King Faisal.
Another attraction, especially for historians, is the rock art and inscriptions at Wadi Dam. Hundreds of localities with rock art and inscriptions dating to different chronological periods and ranging from Paleolithic to the Islamic period were recorded at Wadi Dam and the region west of Tabuk.
The fort of Ashab Al-Ayka dates back to about 3500 BC and has been restored many times. The fort consists of two floors. The first floor contains an open courtyard and a number of rooms, a mosque, a well anpd the stairway leading to the watchtowers used by the guards. The fort is considered as an archaeological landmark of the region.
Ain Sukkra is an ancient spring dating to the pre-Islamic era. It is said that during the Battle of Tabuk, the Prophet (peace be upon him) camped more than 10 days near the spring and drank from its water. Another attraction is a railway station of the Hejaz Railway from the early 20th century.

Stay Connected

Facebook