Mickelson makes ominous 66 start at Scottish Open



ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Friday 12 July 2013

Last update 12 July 2013 2:16 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

INVERNESS, Scotland: Phil Mickelson eased back into links golf with a fluent 6-under 66 at the Scottish Open, leaving him ominously positioned behind two Englishman atop the leaderboard after a low-scoring first round yesterday.
John Parry, ranked No. 471, held the clubhouse lead after a bogey-free 64 and Simon Khan (65) also tamed the Castle Stuart course in perfect morning conditions in the Scottish Highlands to sit alone in second.
Mickelson, however, was lurking in a tie for third with six others after quickly hitting his stride in the warm-up event for next week’s British Open, finding his range on and around the greens to card six birdies and an eagle.
Twenty-one years into a trophy-laden professional career, the four-time major winner insists there is still time for him to “conquer links golf” — a style of play that would hardly come naturally to a player hailing from sunny California.
And his stylish opening round suggested a first win in Europe since 1993 could come either here or a few hours south in Muirfield next week.
“It’s great for me to get off to a decent start because I have gotten off to poor starts the last couple of years here and I have been fighting just to make the cut and get into reasonable contention,” said Mickelson, who at No. 8 is the highest-ranked player in the tournament. “I’m not having to battle uphill.”
Rebounding from three-putting for a bogey on his first hole that left him muttering to himself, Mickelson made a 15-foot putt for eagle at No. 12 — his third hole — and never looked back. The decision to install five greens, all with different surfaces, in his garden to improve his putting is paying off this year.
“Many of my great rounds in the past have started with a bogey,” Mickelson said, “so I wasn’t too worried.
“The very first shot I tried to get a little greedy and it comes back to bite me. So it was a good wake-up call.”
Mickelson, fresh off missing the cut at the Greenbrier Classic last week and the heartbreak of his runner-up finish at the US Open last month, felt he still “let a few shots go” in his first round of links golf since missing the cut at last year’s British Open.
The same can’t be said of Parry.
Outside the world’s top 600 in December, Parry is in his first year back on the European Tour after losing his card in 2011 and his confidence has been boosted by a surprise 28th-place finish at last month’s US Open — his first major.
“I played with some top players and saw what they are like — you realize you are not a million miles away, that they are just more consistent,” Parry said.
Everything went right for him after going out in the second group at 7:40 a.m., birdieing four of his first six holes. Picking up a shot at the last pushed him ahead of Khan, who had just finished as part of the first group, and left Parry with a broad grin on his face.
“It was one of them where it just keeps happening,” said Parry, whose only tournament win came in the Vivendi Cup in 2010. “You wonder why you can’t do that every week.”
Shane Lowry, Mikko Ilonen, James Morrison, Kiradech Aphibarnrat all shot 66s with Mickelson in the morning session. Thongchai Jaidee and Chris Doak joined the seven-man group in a tie for third place a few hours later.
Castle Stuart — criticized for being one-dimensional and too easy by Graeme McDowell last month — was left defenseless in the morning, a sea of red on the scoreboard reflecting how gentle the early conditions were. Only 14 of the 78 players setting out in the morning session finished over par, and 117 of the 156-man field broke par.
But with the wind picking up off the Moray Firth, the afternoon starters — among them the last two British Open champions, Darren Clarke and Ernie Els — found things slightly tougher and no one came close to threatening Parry’s score.
Thongchai missed a short putt for birdie on No. 18 to deny him a tie for second overnight, after the Thai started with three straight birdies. England’s Chris Wood was 4 under after three holes but finished on that score.
Clarke, who mastered the links at Royal St. George’s to win his home major in 2011, shot 3 under after going bogey-free over 18 holes for only the second time this season. Els was level par in his last tournament before defending his Open title.
Jeev Milkha Singh of India opened the defense of his title with a 5-under 67, completing his round by chipping in at the last from just off the green.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

SYDNEY: Amnesty International has demanded that Mustafa Al-Hosawi, a Saudi prisoner at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, be treated for the torture he underwent at the hands of the CIA.The US branch of the organization sent a message to health officials at the...
JEDDAH: The city’s airport staff saved a 20-year-old woman who tried to throw herself from the upper floor to the mezzanine floor in the southern hall. Sources said the suicide attempt was due to family disputes. Administrators said a supervisor in t...
RIYADH: Education Minister Ahmad Al-Issa has ordered to gradually close down private night schools beginning from the current year. The closure of these schools will be complete by 1439H.Al-Issa’s decision is based on reports of a body, which highlig...
RIYADH: A cross-section of Saudi society on Friday denounced the Jazan massacre that shook the nation on Thursday, when a gunman went on the rampage killing seven education officials and injuring several others in Al-Dair governorate.The culprit, ide...
JEDDAH: Maj. Gen. Awad Al-Balawi, head of the Saudi Border Guard, recently confirmed the expansion of the employment program for women within the border security sector. He said that the sector is entering a new phase as women will be employed in a n...
RIYADH: A medical team of the King Abdullah Specialist Children’s Hospital (KASCH) at the King Abdulaziz Medical City (National Guard) here have successfully conducted the first liver transplant on a baby boy. Fahad Mari Said Al-Sairdh, father of the...
JEDDAH: The Makkah Investigation and Prosecution Board reintroduced the crane crash incident to the Riyadh Investigation and Prosecution Board recently, adding 10 more employees and supervisors from different government agencies before the courts. Th...
JEDDAH: The teacher who gunned down seven education officials in Al-Dair governorate on Thursday had been showing behavioral problems in recent days, Al-Janob Misfer Al-Subhan, director of King Faisal Secondary School in Dharan, was quoted as saying...
JEDDAH: The Human Rights Commission (HRC) is investigating the Nakheel Mall case, in which a girl was beaten up by a group of Haia members, an official of the commission has said. “The HRC is supposed to guarantee the rights of those harmed, whoever...
AL-AHSA: King Faisal University (KFU) in Al-Ahsa is currently studying the possibility of admitting female students to specialize in veterinary medicine, the director of the university, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Saati, confirmed. He said the matter has been p...
JEDDAH: A fingerprinting campaign, titled “Imprint Homeland,” against extremism and terrorism, was launched at the Jeddah corniche on Thursday night. The drive will cover all the 17 regions of Makkah province.The campaign, initiated by the Makkah gov...
RIYADH: The number of unemployed Saudi nationals reached 647,000 by the end of last year, of whom 56 percent, or 363,800, hold bachelor’s degrees or licenses. Female bachelor’s degree and license holders accounted for three-fourths of unemployed Saud...
RIYADH: Four citizens have been arrested in two murder cases, one of which was a road rage. One of the suspects resisted arrest and even opened fire on the police, but no one was injured.According to the Riyadh police, a clinic informed them that it...
MAKKAH: Thirty percent of male middle school students and 23 percent of female students take some form of drugs, a recent scientific study from the National Center for Youth Research confirmed. The study shows drug consumption rates among students in...
RIYADH: Several government departments participating in a campaign to fight breast cancer in the Eastern Province will offer their recommendations to the Ministry of the Interior to include breast cancer checks for women aged 40 and above as part of...

Stay Connected

Facebook