Najran marks World Water Day

Updated 01 April 2014

Najran marks World Water Day

The Water and Electricity Ministry in Najran Municipality celebrated World Water Day with the aim to spread awareness about the importance of water and electricity and also to highlight the ministry’s efforts in the provision of water resources and sustainable management.
Mohammed bin Hussein Al-Dawes, director general of the Ministry of Water in Najran, said that the statistics in the report of the Secretariat of Water Resources and the United Nations indicated that more than 1.4 billion people around the world are denied electricity and 780 million lack water resources. The report also stated that over 2.5 billion people do not have access to sanitation facilities and sewage networks.
“Water and electricity are vital to alleviating the suffering of those who are denied these basic amenities,” Al-Dawes said. “We should not only celebrate this day but also remember to work together and spread awareness about the seriousness of the scarcity of water and electricity in the world. We should encourage cooperation between government agencies and members of the community to improve the level of our water resources and conservation,” he said.
He pointed out that the rationalyzing of water resources was an important means to preserve them.
Faiz Al-Saloom, director of outreach, said that that many programs and activities have been undertaken in the Najran region that will help in understanding the importance of water and develop the behaviors of rationalization as a daily practice in the community.
He also said that if the responsibility was shared among all the government sectors and community groups the efforts to reduce water waste and rationalize consumption would really work. He requested everyone to preserve water as a religious duty, moral and national focus.


Saudi-led Arab coalition forces intercept 2 more Houthi drones

Updated 26 August 2019

Saudi-led Arab coalition forces intercept 2 more Houthi drones

  • Three drones, six ballistic missiles launched toward Saudi Arabia by Houthis in a span of 24 hours
  • All six missiles and three drones were shot down by Coalition air defenses

JEDDAH: Two more drones launched by Houthi "terrorists" from Sanaa toward Saudi Arabia were shot down early Monday, Coalition forces supporting Yemen's legitimate government said. 

Coalition forces have successfully intercepted six ballistic missiles and three drones launched by the Houthis toward Saudi Arabia in a span of 24 hours from Sunday morning.

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the two drones were intercepted and shot down over Yemeni air space by Saudi-led air defense forces.

On Sunday evening, six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were also intercepted by the coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were launched by Houthis from Saada province "in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city.” 

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot down a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second on the city in recent days. 

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

"All attempts by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia to launch drones are doomed to fail and the coalition takes all operational procedures and best practices of engagement rules to deal with these drones to protect civilians," Al-Maliki said on Monday.