Jeddah residents told to guard against MERS

1 / 2
2 / 2
Updated 03 May 2014
0

Jeddah residents told to guard against MERS

The Health Ministry has advised Jeddah’s residents to take precautionary measures against the coronavirus, which has claimed the lives of 68 people and infected 189 since September 2012.
Pharmacies have noted a sudden frenetic rush, with residents flocking to purchase hand sanitizers, face masks and anything that can help keep them safe from the virus.
“The Ministry of Health along with the World Health Organization (WHO) and international experts is working on collecting more information about this deadly virus,” said Khalid Mirghalani, spokesman for the Ministry of Health.
“There is no vaccine for the virus so far,” he said. “But the MoH advises residents to avoid unnecessary panic and instead follow instructions and take precautionary measures to stay safe according to MOH guidelines.”
The Ministry of Health recently released a set of guidelines for protection and advised residents in the Kingdom to follow them.
The ministry’s set of precautionary measures obliged the use of face masks in crowded places, especially during Umrah and Haj, and to avoid contact with patients and their personal effects.
Further measures encouraged the continual washing of hands, the use of hand disinfectants, the use of paper towels to cough or sneeze and several others.
The guidelines also highlight signs and symptoms of the coronavirus infection, which include cough, fever, nose and throat congestion, shortness of breathing, and in some cases, diarrhea. In advanced cases, patients can suffer serious complications, such as severe pneumonia, which can lead to death.
Several schools in the Kingdom have been recording a high rate of student absenteeism, although the Ministry of Education denied the closure of schools, stating that “there is no coronavirus among students.”
The Ministry of Health said it is taking “all precautionary measures for persons who have been in contact with infected people and has taken samples from them to examine if they are infected.”
Meanwhile, several doctors and health experts in the Kingdom are conducting health awareness programs to create awareness and educate people on the prevention of the deadly virus.
The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), another term for the coronavirus, was first reported in the Kingdom in 2012.
The relatively high fatality rate is, however, attributed to other factors, such as old age or other medical conditions.
 

For queries, ring 800 249 4444

 


KSRelief 45-vehicle aid convoy heads to Hodeidah

KSRelief General Supervisor Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah speaks to media in Riyadh on Wednesday. (SPA)
Updated 20 June 2018
0

KSRelief 45-vehicle aid convoy heads to Hodeidah

  • Al-Rabeeah said KSRelief had carried out a total of 262 aid projects in all governorates of Yemen
  • Al-Rabeeah called on international humanitarian organizations to provide relief assistance to the people of Yemen.

RIYADH: A 45-vehicle aid convoy carrying 924 tons of foodstuffs, medical and housing supplies left Saudi Arabia for the Yemeni province of Hodeidah on Wednesday.

Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, KSRelief general supervisor, said that 18 of the trucks were sent from Sharurah, 15 from Jazan and 12 from Riyadh.

The convoy included 595 tons of food baskets, 186 tons of dates, 95 tons of medicines, and 48 ​​tons of shelter materials, tents, rugs and blankets for the residents of the province of Hodeidah.

Al-Rabeeah said KSRelief had carried out a total of 262 aid projects in all governorates of Yemen.

He called on international humanitarian organizations to provide relief assistance to the people of Yemen.

The Arab coalition has secured all Yemeni crossings for humanitarian aid to alleviate Yemeni people’s suffering caused by violations committed by the Iran-backed Houthi militias, who have been looting humanitarian aid to Yemen, Al-Rabeeah said.

 “We have been always by the side of Yemeni civilians. Our prime goal is to alleviate the humanitarian situation in Yemen in general and Hodeidah in particular. We will use all transportation means, land, air or seaports, to help our brothers and sisters in Hodeidah,” he added. 

“We are welcoming coordination with the international humanitarian organizations to have a joint effort that will definitely pour into the civilians in Hodeidah to reduce the humanitarian crisis there as the coalition has expressed its full readiness to protect the aid and facilitate the means to reach different destinations,” Al-Rabeeah said.

Abdulsalam Babood, senior official to the Yemeni government and a member of Yemeni Relief Committee, said: “On behalf of my country and the Yemeni people, I would like to express my thanks and appreciation to King Salman and the crown prince for their unmatched generosity and unwavering support to the Yemeni civilians in terms of medical supplies and food and other needed items for survival.

“Hodeidah has been suffering from the humanitarian crisis over the past three years due to the full control imposed by the Houthi militants on them. Starvation and the big shortage in medical supplies and medications and huge environmental issues are the main struggles of the people there. International reports estimate that 61 percent of people in Hodeidah are in urgent need of essential supplies. We then put a plan to cope with this humanitarian crisis.”