Umrah cancellation rumors scotched



Jeddah: Arab News

Published — Thursday 24 April 2014

Last update 20 May 2014 6:09 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

The Haj Ministry has not received cancellations for Umrah reservations in the wake of the coronavirus, said Abdullah Marghalani, undersecretary at the Haj Ministry and general director of the ministry’s Jeddah branch.
“We take directives solely from the Saudi Health Ministry, the only official body responsible for issuing health advice for the pilgrimage,” he said. “We do not take into account rumors circulating on social networking sites.”
The Health Ministry has reassured residents that the virus has not reached an epidemic stage, he said. This is why the Haj Ministry has not taken precautionary measures so far.
“Wearing a face mask is optional and cannot be forced upon pilgrims,” he said. “We have not had any complaints from foreign governments about any of their pilgrims being infected with the virus.
The virus itself has not affected Umrah pilgrims so far, nor has it had any effect on applications for the Haj and Umrah pilgrimages.”
According to official statistics, there have been 3.8 million Umrah pilgrims since the beginning of the season, a 30 percent increase from the 2.5 million pilgrims performing Umrah this time last year,” said Marghalani. Umrah service providers have also indicated a 30 percent increase in the number of applications this year.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...
RIYADH: Recruitment offices here have decided to stop hiring Bangladeshi workers because they claim that a supply crunch has raised costs.Ibrahim Al-Megheimish, a recruitment expert, said that there are too few Bangladeshi workers seeking employment,...
RIYADH: As many as 200 students have enrolled into different courses at the Riyadh-based Saudi Aviation Flight Academy (SAFA) with 70 percent of them being Saudi nationals, said Saleem Bava, head of marketing and admission at SAFA.SAFA offers a mix o...

Stay Connected

Facebook