Opposition rejects Bouteflika inauguration



Agence France Presse

Published — Monday 28 April 2014

Last update 28 April 2014 3:12 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

ALGIERS: Algerian opposition parties are to boycott the inauguration Monday of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika after his re-election in a campaign he was too sick to participate in, an opposition leader said.
Five of the parties staying away called on their supporters to boycott the election itself. A sixth — the Socialist Forces Front (FFS) — left it to its rank and file to make up their own minds whether to vote in the April 17 poll. “It’s the logical conclusion of the election boycott,” said Abderezak Mokri, leader of the Movement of Society for Peace.
His party and two other moderate groups — the Front for Justice and Development and Ennhada — joined with the Jil El Djadid (Party of Youth) and the fiercely secular Rally for Culture and Democracy in the polling day boycott.
Turnout in the election was just 50.7 percent, according to official figures, sharply down on the 74.5 percent reported when Bouteflika won a third term in 2009, although that figure was criticized in a leaked US embassy cable as inflated.
But Khaled told AFP that he was taking the plane on Sunday evening to be present in Algiers for the swearing in of the veteran incumbent.
Khaled, who fled to France in the 1980s in the face of threats from radicals, contributed a clip to the Bouteflika re-election campaign from which the president himself was entirely absent.
Bouteflika, who turned up in a wheelchair to cast his own vote on polling say, has hardly been since in public since a mini-stroke which confined him to hospital in Paris for three months last year.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: A number of prominent Saudi women have cited several reasons for not running as candidates in the upcoming municipal elections. Some of them are an alleged lack of clarity on nominations and voting; they are too busy; and they want to make wa...
JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...
RIYADH: Recruitment offices here have decided to stop hiring Bangladeshi workers because they claim that a supply crunch has raised costs.Ibrahim Al-Megheimish, a recruitment expert, said that there are too few Bangladeshi workers seeking employment,...

Stay Connected

Facebook