King: Responsibility will be fixed

Updated 15 September 2015
0

King: Responsibility will be fixed

MAKKAH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman vowed to find out what caused a crane collapse that killed 111 people at the Grand Mosque in Makkah on Friday.

“We will investigate all the reasons and afterward declare the results to the citizens,” King Salman said after visiting the site.
The king expressed his condolences to the families of the dead, and then visited a local hospital to check on the health of the injured. He spoke to the injured and assured them of the best possible medical care.
“Whoever is responsible (for the tragedy) will be held accountable,” said King Salman on Twitter. He wished speedy recovery for the injured.
A number of foreign nationals welcomed the king’s gesture of visiting the hospital. “This shows he cares,” said Rahman Khan, a Pakistani pilgrim whose relative is being treated at Al-Noor Specialist Hospital. “He is standing with us in this difficult times. His visit was very reassuring.”
The king was accompanied by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Naif, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal and Health Minister Khalid Al-Falih.
On Sunday, Prince Khaled submitted the results of the investigation into the crash to the crown prince. Its contents were not disclosed.
Prince Mohammed bin Naif will present it to King Salman.
Prince Khaled had ordered a probe as soon as the tragedy struck. The investigation committee was headed by Hesham Al-Faleh, an adviser to Prince Khaled, who was under orders to submit the findings urgently.
The contractor, engaged in the expansion of the Grand Mosque, has been directed to ensure the safety of all other cranes at the site, said SPA.
Even as consulates of the various countries began releasing the names of the victims on Sunday, there was little mourning among pilgrims, who continued with their prayers and rituals.
“I wish I had died in the accident, as it happened at a holy hour and in a holy place,” Egyptian pilgrim Mohammed Ibrahim told AFP.
Umm Salma, a Moroccan pilgrim, said: “Our phones have not stopped ringing since Friday with relatives calling to check on us.”


Arab coalition working to protect region’s security, says spokesman

Coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki at a press briefing. (SPA file photo)
Updated 19 March 2019
0

Arab coalition working to protect region’s security, says spokesman

  • Houthis want to disturb peace, says coalition spokesman
  • Stockholm peace agreement under strain

RIYADH: The Arab coalition supporting the internationally recognized Yemeni government is committed to protecting regional and global security, a spokesman said Monday.

Coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki was asked at a press briefing about Houthi militias threatening to target the capitals of Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

“This is their way to disturb peace,” Al-Maliki replied. “Previously the Houthis targeted Riyadh with a ballistic missile, violating all international laws by attacking a city that has more than 8 million civilians. We take all precautions to protect civilians and vital areas. The coalition works to protect regional and international security.”

Al-Maliki said Houthis had targeted Saudi border towns several times, the most recent incident taking place in Abha last Friday.

But the Saudi Royal Air Defense Force had shot down a drone that was targeting civilians, he added.

He said four Saudi nationals and an Indian expatriate were injured in the attack because of falling debris.

The drone wreckage showed the characteristics and specifications of Iranian manufacturing, he said, which proved Iran was continuing to smuggle arms to the militias.

He warned the Houthis to refrain from targeting civilians because the coalition, in line with international humanitarian law, had every right to counter such threats.

He said the coalition was making efforts to neutralize ballistic missiles and dismantle their capabilities, as the coalition’s joint command would not allow the militia to possess weapons that threatened civilian lives and peace.

Al-Maliki reiterated that the Houthis were targeting Yemeni civilians and continued to violate international laws. 

He also urged Yemenis to try their best to prevent children from being captured by Houthis, who were using them as human shields and child soldiers.

His comments came as the UN tried to salvage a peace deal that was seen as crucial for ending the country’s four-year war.

The Stockholm Agreement was signed by the Yemeni government and Houthi representatives last December.

The main points of the agreement were a prisoner exchange, steps toward a cease-fire in the city of Taiz, and a cease-fire agreement in the city of Hodeidah and its port, as well as ports in Salif and Ras Issa.

Militants triggered the conflict when they seized the capital Sanaa in 2014 and attempted to occupy large parts of the country. An Arab coalition intervened in support of the internationally recognized government in March 2015.

The World Health Organization estimates that nearly 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen since 2015.

Earlier this month US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that President Donald Trump’s administration opposed curbs on American assistance to the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen.

“The way to alleviate the Yemeni people’s suffering isn’t to prolong the conflict by handicapping our partners in the fight, but by giving the Saudi-led coalition the support needed to defeat the Iranian-backed rebels and ensure a just peace,” Pompeo said at a news conference in Washington.