Begging is a ‘source for terror funding’

Qassim Gov. Prince Faisal bin Mishaal
Updated 18 May 2016
0

Begging is a ‘source for terror funding’

RIYADH: It is everybody’s duty to end the begging phenomenon during Ramadan because it is a source of terror funding, said Qassim Gov. Prince Faisal bin Mishaal here recently.

His comment came during a meeting with various sectors of society to discuss the problem of begging during the Holy Month.
“It is imperative that we come up with a solution to begging, which is rampant during Ramadan, because it’s a source of funding for terrorist groups,” insisted the governor.
Moreover, beggars at traffic signals, he said, also cause obstruction as they walk up to motorists waiting for the light to turn green, asking for alms.
The meeting was attended by military leaders, security experts, scientists, media representatives, civic groups and youth organizations in the region.
Prince Faisal bin Mishaal said that many are interested in doing good deeds by giving alms during Ramadan without realizing that the money is going to terrorists, who use it for their inimical goals.
“Everybody is enjoined to help in the campaign to deter, if not totally prevent, beggars, especially in public places like major roads, markets or malls.”
Yusuf Rumaih, criminology professor at the University of Qassim and a security adviser, said “funding for terrorist organizations is like oxygen for life.”
He, however, added that the Kingdom has made great strides in fighting terrorism and that it has many ways to to cut off its sources of financial and intellectual logistics.
A journalist attending the meeting said, “We must be discreet in and when we’re moved to give alms to beggars.
Refusal to give alms because we doubt a beggar’s purpose for the money won’t make him die.”


Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

Updated 21 May 2019
0

Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

  • Houthis also fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah on Monday

RIYADH: Houthi militants had tried to hit a civilian facility in Saudi Arabia's southern border province of Najran with a drone carrying explosives, the Arab Coalition supporting Yemen's legitimate government said on Tuesday.
In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the spokesman of the Saudi-led military coalition said the target was a vital facility.
"The Houthi-backed terrorist militia of Iran continues to carry out acts of terrorism that pose a real threat to regional and international security by targeting civilian objects and civilian facilities, as well as civilian citizens and residents of all nationalities," Al-Maliki said.

The statement did not mention casualties and gave no further details.

Earlier on Monday, Al-Maliki said Houthis fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah but both were shot down by Saudi air defense forces.

The Iran-backed Houthis have fired dozens of missiles at targets in Saudi Arabia, including the capital Riyadh, since the Arab Coalition intervened in 2015 to restore the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, which was ousted in a Houthi coup.