Kingdom, UAE sign deal for Coordination Council

1 / 2
SOLIDARITY: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman holds talks with Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, crown prince of Abu Dhabi and deputy supreme commander of the UAE Armed Forces, in Jeddah. (SPA)
2 / 2
WARM WELCOME: Crown Prince Mohammed bin Naif, deputy premier and interior minister, receives Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan in Jeddah. (SPA)
Updated 17 May 2016

Kingdom, UAE sign deal for Coordination Council

JEDDAH:The Kingdom and the UAE have set up a joint council to coordinate efforts and bolster ties between the two countries.
A protocol to set up the council was signed Monday at Al-Salam Palace in Jeddah in the presence of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman and Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, crown prince of Abu Dhabi and deputy supreme commander of the UAE Armed Forces
Nizar bin Obaid Madani, minister of state for foreign affairs, signed for Saudi Arabia while Ali bin Mohammed Al-Shamsi, deputy secretary-general of the Supreme Council for Security, signed for the UAE.
King Salman earlier received at his palace Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan.
At the outset of the meeting, the king welcomed the Abu Dhabi crown prince and the accompanying delegation.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan thanked King Salman for the warm welcome and generous hospitality accorded to him and his delegation.
During the meeting, they reviewed the close brotherly relations between the two countries and aspects of bilateral cooperation in various fields, in addition to the latest developments at regional and international arenas.
King Salman hosted a lunch banquet in honor of the UAE leader and his delegation before they left Jeddah.


2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

Updated 22 min 45 sec ago

2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

  • Three drones, six ballistic missiles launched toward Saudi Arabia by Houthis in a span of 24 hours
  • All six missiles and three drones were shot down by Coalition air defenses

JEDDAH: Two more drones launched by Houthi "terrorists" from Sanaa toward Saudi Arabia were shot down early Monday, the ninth hit in a span of 24 hours, Coalition forces supporting Yemen's legitimate government said .

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the two drones were intercepted and shot down in Yemeni airspace by Saudi-led air defense forces.

On Sunday evening, six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were also intercepted by the coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were launched by Houthis from Saada province "in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city.” 

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot down a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second on the city in recent days. 

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

"All attempts by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia to launch drones are doomed to fail and the coalition takes all operational procedures and best practices of engagement rules to deal with these drones to protect civilians," Al-Maliki said.