Bahrain’s ArtBAB fair builds creative bridges across the world

Group photo with the artists.
Updated 28 October 2016
0

Bahrain’s ArtBAB fair builds creative bridges across the world

Art Bahrain Across Borders (ArtBAB) will present art from across the world at its second international art fair to be held next March. At a breakfast meeting hosted by Kaneka Subberwal, co-founder of Art Bahrain, in the historic Arts Club in Mayfair, the plans were unveiled.
Subberwal, who began working in Bahrain in 2008 with her art consultancy firm, Art Select, is passionately committed to promoting contemporary artists from Bahrain and neighboring Arab states.
Speaking to Arab News she said: “Ever since arriving in Bahrain I have been fascinated by the country, its artists and their work. I now concentrate on the artists and their development with the aim of reaching a mass global platform. The fair last year under the patronage of Her Royal Highness Princess Sabeeka Bint Ibrahim Al-Khalifa, wife of His Majesty the King of Bahrain, was the first step and now we are looking forward to the second. The Bahraini leadership is invested in its people. They support everyone who is participating in building Bahrain.”
Tamkeen, Bahrain’s economic development agency, has appointed Art Select to organize and manage the fair to be held between March 22-26, 2017 at the Bahrain International Exhibition & Convention Center.
Amal Al-Kooheji, Tamkeen’s chief operating officer said: “We want to position Bahrain as a prime hub for art and education.
“Bahrain’s art sector is emerging into a viable industry with great potential to become an engine of economic growth. Until recently this sector did not receive the required attention and through initiatives such as ArtBAB we hope to steer it to new heights, inspiring entrepreneurship, art education and local skills development.”
ArtBAB will build on the momentum of last year’s international art exhibition as well as the success of the Bahraini Artists Across Borders initiative launched at the Victoria and Albert Museum and exhibited in Gallery 8 in May. Gallery director and curator, Janet Rady, a specialist in contemporary art from the Middle East and ArtBAB’s Head of Events and Educational Programming, said the 17 Bahraini artists who exhibited at the V&A launch showed the range and depth of talent in the country. She noted that one of the artists, Mayasa Al-Sowaidi, has been nominated for The Sovereign Middle East and North Africa Art Prize (MENA Prize).
David Hawkins, head of outreach and VIP relations for ArtBAB explained that the fair will include a BAAB Pavilion exclusive to 30 Bahraini artists to be selected by an international jury following submissions; a Gallery Arena to host up to 35 international and Bahraini galleries; an international Artists’ Pavilion to display the works of participating artists from around the world and an art book shop and merchandising and design section. A specially designed art and education program featuring key artists titled ‘[email protected]’ will also run parallel to the exhibition.
Subberwal was asked what criteria she used in judging the success and impact of an art fair. She replied: “I would consider the following: Did the fair connect with the people? That is an important measure for us of its success. Did artists from different communities and genres interact? Was there an interaction between the galleries and the collectors? Was there footfall — did the galleries get a return on their investment in participating in the fair? That is how I would measure success.”


Bong d’Or: Korean director wins Cannes’ top prize

Updated 25 May 2019
0

Bong d’Or: Korean director wins Cannes’ top prize

  • French-Senegalese director Mati Diop’s “Atlantics" wins festival’s second place award, the Grand Prize
  • Belgian brothers Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne shared the best director for “Young Ahmed”

CANNES, France: South Korean director Bong Joon-ho’s social satire “Parasite,” about a poor family of hustlers who find jobs with a wealthy family, won the Cannes Film Festival’s top award, the Palme d’Or, on Saturday.
The win for “Parasite” marks the first Korean film to ever win the Palme. In the festival’s closing ceremony, jury president Alejandro Inarritu said the choice had been “unanimous” for the nine-person jury.
The genre-mixing film had been celebrated as arguably the most critically acclaimed film at Cannes this year and the best yet from the 49-year-old director of “Snowpiercer” and “Okja.”
It was the second straight Palme victory for an Asian director. Last year, the award went to Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Kore-eda’s “Shoplifters.”
Two years ago, Bong was in Cannes’ competition with “Okja,” a movie distributed in North America by Netflix. After it and Noah Baumbach’s “The Meyerowitz Stories” — another Netflix release — premiered in Cannes, the festival ruled that all films in competition needed French theatrical distribution. Netflix has since withdrawn from the festival on the French Riveira.
The festival’s second place award, the Grand Prize, went to French-Senegalese director Mati Diop’s “Atlantics.” Diop was the first black female director in competition at Cannes.
Belgian brothers Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne shared the best director for “Young Ahmed.”
Best actor went to Antonio Banderas for Pedro Almodovar’s “Pain and Glory,” while best actress was won by British actress Emily Beecham for “Little Joe.”
Although few quibbled with the choice of Bong, some had expected Cannes to make history by giving the Palme to a female filmmaker for just the second time.
Celine Sciamma’s period romance “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” was the Palme pick for many critics this year, but it ended up with best screenplay.
In the festival’s 72-year history, only Jane Champion has won the prize in 1993, and she tied with Chen Kaige’s “Farewell My Concubine.”