11 fresh MERS cases in Kingdom in November

Members of the Health Department in Al-Dawadmi, Riyadh region, offer advice to a child during an awareness campaign and prevention on MERS coronavirus in this August 2016 file photo. (SPA)
Updated 22 November 2016
0

11 fresh MERS cases in Kingdom in November

JEDDAH: Eleven new cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in the Kingdom have been confirmed during the month of November, raising the total number of cases to 1,486 since 2012, Ministry of Health records show.
The figure of total MERS-CoV deaths in the Kingdom has remained at 616, while 856 have fully recovered and 14 are still under treatment.
The latest case, reported in the ministry’s MERS bulletin on Sunday, is a 59-year-old Saudi woman from the Najran region, who was listed in critical condition and confined in hospital. No other details were mentioned, except that the patient had no pre-existing illness.
On Friday, three new cases were reported, including a 29-year-old man from Alzulfi, Riyadh region; a 34-year-old man from Arar, Northern Borders region; and a 53-year-old male expatriate based in Buqayq, Eastern Province.
The other new cases were three women (from Hafr Al-Batin in the Eastern Province, Afif in Riyadh region and in Najran region) and five men from Hafr Al-Batin, Eastern Province; Al Aflaj, Riyadh; Afif, Riyadh; Tabuk region; Al-Kharj, Riyadh region and Bahrah, Makkah region). All of the other new cases were Saudis, and a 58-year-old female expat in Najran region.


Saudi Arabia says UN Khashoggi report contains ‘baseless allegations’ and ‘contradictions’

Updated 23 min 48 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia says UN Khashoggi report contains ‘baseless allegations’ and ‘contradictions’

  • Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said the report contained 'nothing new.'
  • Saudi Arabia late indicted 11 people for the killing and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against five of them

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said Wednesday that a report by a UN expert on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi contains “baseless allegations” and “contradictions.”

Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said the report contained “nothing new.”

He said the judicial authorities in the Kingdom are the only ones competent to investigate the case and that a number of suspects have already been arrested.

The report “contains clear contradictions and baseless allegations which challenge its credibility,” he said on Twitter.

“We strongly reject any attempt to prejudice the Kingdom’s leadership or to remove the case from the course of justice in the Kingdom or influencing it in any way.”

The report released Wednesday by UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Agnes Callamard, said the murder of Khashoggi was the responsibility of the state of Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia late last year indicted 11 people for the killing and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against five of them.

Saudi prosecutors said Khashoggi was killed by a “rogue operation” in a botched attempt to repatriate him. 

Al-Jubeir said the trials are being attended by representatives from the embassies of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council in addition to Turkey and Saudi human rights organizations.