Venezuela cash crisis sparks looting, protests

A woman counts 100-bolivar-bills at an office in Caracas on December 12, 2016. (AFP)
Updated 17 December 2016

Venezuela cash crisis sparks looting, protests

CARACAS: Desperate Venezuelans looted delivery trucks and clashed with police as a botched plan to introduce new banknotes left people without cash — the latest shortage in a spiraling economic crisis.
Late Friday President Nicolas Maduro blamed opposition politicians for the unrest, claiming that there were pictures and videos of some opposition members of the National Assembly involved in “attempts of vandalism and some acts of violence.”
He warned that “parliamentary immunity does not reach that far,” but did not give any names.
Maduro mentioned that rioters had torched two state banks in the town of Guasdalito, near the border with Colombia.
He blamed unnamed opposition leaders who were also part of a “contraband mafia” for the incident, and warned that they “will be captured and put behind bars in the next hours.”
Faced with world-high inflation that has made its money increasingly worthless, the government is trying to introduce new bills in denominations up to 200 times higher than the old ones.
But the plan went off the rails when Maduro ordered the 100-bolivar note removed from circulation before the new bills arrived.
Formerly the highest denomination bill, the 100-bolivar note was worth about three US cents, and accounted for 77 percent of the cash in circulation in Venezuela.
Angry protests erupted around the country as the chaotic reform left people without money to buy food or Christmas presents.
In the second city of Maracaibo in the west, groups of protesters hurled stones at police, reports said.
In the eastern city of Maturin, dozens of people blocked off a major avenue and looting broke out.
“I went by the market and it was being guarded by the military. A chicken truck was looted,” Juan Carlos Leal, a farmer in Maturin, told AFP.
In the eastern city of Puerto la Cruz, “people rioted because they wanted to take out money and they weren’t allowed to,” said Genesis, a local baker.
“The police fired in the air to calm the riot. Everyone dispersed and the police ordered all shops to be closed,” said Genesis, who asked not to be identified by her surname for fear of reprisals.
Protests were reported by users on Twitter in several Venezuelan states.
Local media in the western city of Santa Barbara said four people were injured when the drivers of a security truck transporting money opened fire on people trying to break into it.
In the capital Caracas, thousands of Venezuelans from around the country queued to rid themselves of 100-bolivar notes at the only place still accepting them: the central bank.
Many were angry to learn they would only be allowed to deposit the old bills or obtain “special vouchers” for new ones.
“The world has turned upside down. Normally, there’s no food. Now there are no bills to buy it,” said Jesus Garcia, a 21-year-old food vendor who had been in line since 4:00 am.
Maduro has presided over an unraveling of Venezuela’s oil-rich economy as crude prices have plunged.
The import-dependent country is desperately short of food, medicine and basic household goods.
Venezuela currently has the world’s highest inflation rate, set to hit 475 percent this year, according to an IMF forecast.
Maduro, whose popularity has plummeted, said the 100-bolivar note had to be killed because “mafias” were hoarding it abroad in what he called a US-backed plot to destabilize Venezuela.
In response, the leftist leader has sealed the borders with Colombia and Brazil until Sunday, exacerbating the chaos.
Angry crowds massed in the town of San Antonio at a bridge crossing on the Colombian border, yelling “We want to cross!“
“We are suffering. We are hungry, we have no medicine, we have nothing. Nothing!” said one of the people in the crowd, Carmen Rodriguez.
“And now with this money problem, we can’t even buy food.”
The 100-bolivar note ceased to be legal tender on Thursday.
Initially, Venezuelans were to have 10 days after that to exchange them at the central bank.
Maduro subsequently slashed the grace period to five days.
Venezuelans had grown used to carrying around huge stacks of 100-bolivar bills for even the smallest purchases.
Now they are stuck trying to amass even bigger piles of 10-, 20- and 50-bolivar notes.
Some companies have stopped dealing in cash altogether.
The new banknotes were initially to be launched Thursday, starting with a 500-bolivar bill and eventually reaching denominations up to 20,000.
But the bills, which are being printed abroad, have yet to arrive.
“By removing the 100-bolivar bills, they are jamming up the economy,” said economist Alberto Martinez.
“Cash registers have no money. The system is under stress.”


Taliban talks resume amid hopes of deal

Updated 22 August 2019

Taliban talks resume amid hopes of deal

  • The disclosure came in a context of ongoing bloodshed in Afghanistan after NATO said two US military personnel were killed Wednesday
  • Washington is hoping to strike an agreement with the Taliban by September 1 — ahead of Afghan polls due the same month

DOHA: The US and the Taliban met in Doha on Thursday, an American source close to the talks said, for potentially decisive dialogue to allow Washington to drawdown militarily in Afghanistan.
The source said the talks started around 1300 GMT — the ninth time the two foes have met face-to-face.
The disclosure came in a context of ongoing bloodshed in Afghanistan after NATO said two US military personnel were killed Wednesday, blasts rocked Jalalabad Monday, and the death toll from a weekend wedding bombing reached 80.
Washington’s top commander in Afghanistan General Scott Miller was at the talks venue, according to an AFP correspondent.
The US, which invaded Afghanistan and toppled the Taliban in 2001, wants to withdraw thousands of troops but only in return for the insurgent group renouncing Al-Qaeda and curbing attacks.
Washington is hoping to strike an agreement with the Taliban by September 1 — ahead of Afghan polls due the same month, and US presidential polls due in 2020.
Taliban lead negotiator Abbas Stanikzai told AFP Thursday that overall talks had been “going well.”
The talks are expected to focus on establishing a timeline for the US withdrawal of its more than 13,000 troops in Afghanistan.
“We’ve been there for 18 years, it’s ridiculous,” US President Donald Trump told reporters Tuesday.
“We are negotiating with the government and we are negotiating with the Taliban,” he said.
“We have good talks going and we will see what happens.”
But the thorny issues of power-sharing with the Taliban, the role of regional powers including Pakistan and India, and the fate of Afghanistan’s incumbent administration remain unresolved.
US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad sought to bolster optimism for a peace agreement last week when he said in a tweet that he hoped this is the final year that the country is at war.