Libya deputy PM quits, saying he has ‘failed’

Libyans from Sirte who returned home after National Accord (GNA) forces drove Daesh out from the city. A deputy leader of the GNA resigned saying he had failed. (AFP)
Updated 03 January 2017
0

Libya deputy PM quits, saying he has ‘failed’

TRIPOLI: One of three deputy premiers in Libya’s UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) resigned on Monday, saying he had failed in his mission.
Moussa Al-Kouni told a press conference in the capital of the chaos-ridden North African country that he could no longer stay in the post.
“I’m resigning because I have failed,” said a visibly moved Al-Kouni, who is originally from southern Libya and represents the Tuareg minority in the GNA.
“We (in the GNA) are responsible because we accepted this mission.
“We take responsibility for everything that has happened in the past year: Dramas, violence, murder, rape, invasion, the squandering of public funds... Regardless of the extent of the crimes, we are responsible,” he said.
Libya has been mired in chaos since the 2011 downfall of longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
In March last year, the internationally backed GNA was formed, intended to replace two rival administrations, one in Tripoli and one in the country’s far east.
It is also the centerpiece of Western hopes to stem an upsurge of radicalism in Libya and halt people trafficking across the Mediterranean that has led to thousands of drownings.


Donald Trump tells Iran to ‘get out of Yemen’

Updated 16 July 2019
0

Donald Trump tells Iran to ‘get out of Yemen’

  • Trump said on Tuesday a lot of progress had been made with Iran and that he was not looking for regime change
  • Pompeo said at the meeting Iran had said it was prepared to negotiate about its missile program

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday a lot of progress had been made with Iran and that he was not looking for regime change in Tehran, but said the US wanted the Islamic republic to "get out of Yemen."

Trump, who made the remarks at a Cabinet meeting in the White House, did not give details about the progress, but US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said at the meeting Iran had said it was prepared to negotiate about its missile program.

More to follow...