Syrian girl blogger, 7, appeals to Trump

Aleppo’s tweeting girl, Bana Al-Abed. (AFP)
Updated 25 January 2017
0

Syrian girl blogger, 7, appeals to Trump

ISTANBUL: Seven-year-old Syrian girl Bana Al-Abed, who came to international attention with her tweets giving a tragic account of the war in Aleppo, has written an open letter to new US President Donald Trump.
In her letter Bana, who was evacuated from the besieged city to Turkey in December, appealed to Trump to help the children of Syria, the BBC reported Tuesday.
“I am part of the Syrian children who suffered from the Syrian war,” she wrote, according to a transcript of the letter her mother sent to the BBC.
She told Trump her school in Aleppo was destroyed by the bombing and some of her friends had died.
“Right now in Turkey, I can go out and enjoy. I can go to school although I didn’t yet. That is why peace is important for everyone including you.
“However, millions of Syrian children are not like me right now and suffering in different parts of Syria,” she wrote.
“You must do something for the children of Syria because they are like your children and deserve peace like you.”
At least 15,000 children are among the more than 300,000 people who have been killed in Syria’s six-year war between President Bashar Assad’s regime and rebel forces.
Through her tragic descriptions of life in besieged Aleppo on her @AlabedBana Twitter account, Bana became a symbol of the tragedy unfolding in Syria, although the government had slammed her and her mother’s nearly daily tweets as propaganda.
Turkey, which backs the Syrian rebels, is hosting some 2.7 million refugees from the conflict.
Syrian rebels and Assad’s government are holding peace talks in Kazakhstan but there have been no signs of a breakthrough.
Trump’s administration was invited to participate in the talks organized by key players Russia, Turkey and Iran but did not send a delegation. Trump’s spokesman Sean Spicer said on Monday that the new US president was open to conducting joint operations with Russia to combat the Daesh group, who control significant territory in northern Syria.


Nobel laureate Murad to build hospital in her hometown in Iraq

Updated 15 December 2018
0

Nobel laureate Murad to build hospital in her hometown in Iraq

  • The laureate was awarded the $1 million prize alongside Congolese doctor Denis Mukwege
  • She said she will use the money to “build a hospital in Sinjar to treat ill people, mainly widows and women”

SINJAR, Iraq: Nadia Murad, an Iraqi Yazidi woman held as a sex slave by Daesh militants who won this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, said on Friday she intended to use the prize money to build a hospital for victims of sexual abuse in her hometown.
The Yazidi survivor was speaking to a crowd of hundreds in Sinjar, her hometown in northern Iraq.
“With the money I got from the Nobel Peace prize, I will build a hospital in Sinjar to treat ill people, mainly widows and women who were exposed to sexual abuses by Daesh militants,” she told the crowd and gathered journalists.
She thanked the Iraqi and Kurdistan governments for agreeing to her plan and said she would be contacting humanitarian organizations “soon” to start construction.
Murad was awarded the $1 million prize alongside Congolese doctor Denis Mukwege for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict.
She was one of about 7,000 women and girls captured in northwest Iraq in August 2014 and held by Daesh in Mosul, where she was tortured and raped.
She escaped after three months and reached Germany, from where she campaigned extensively to appeal for support for the Yazidi community.
The Yazidi area in Sinjar had previously been home to about 400,000 people, mostly Yazidis and Arab Sunnis.
In a matter of days, more than 3,000 Yazidis were killed and about 6,800 kidnapped, either sold into slavery or conscripted to fight for Daesh as the religious minority came under attack.