UN supervision of Yemen port demanded

A member of the Saudi security force stands guard in front of the logo of the Saudi-led Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition during a meeting for the coalition's chiefs of staff in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, in this March 27, 2016 file photo. (REUTERS)
Updated 21 March 2017
0

UN supervision of Yemen port demanded

JEDDAH: A Yemeni rebel missile was intercepted over the Kingdom Monday, the Saudi-led Arab coalition said.
The coalition said the missile, directed at Jazan, caused no casualties. The coalition destroyed the missile launch pad, according to the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
The coalition fighting in Yemen called on Sunday for the UN to place a strategic port under its supervision after 42 Somalis were killed in an attack on their refugee boat nearby.
The refugees had departed from the western port city of Al-Hodeidah en route to Sudan when it came under fire in an incident aid workers said had involved a helicopter.
The Red Sea port near the Bab Al-Mandab strait is under the control of Yemen’s armed Houthi movement, which has been fighting the Arab coalition for over two years.
While the alliance denied responsibility for the attack on Friday, it called for jurisdiction over Al-Hodeidah port to be transferred to the UN.
“This would facilitate the flow of humanitarian supplies to the Yemeni people, while at the same time ending the use of the port for weapons smuggling and people trafficking,” it said in a statement.
It is still unclear who was behind the assault.
Meanwhile, the UN called for an inquiry into the attack.
“Many questions remain unanswered on the circumstances of this horrific event,” said Filippo Grandi, head of the UN refugee agency, in a statement.
“We call on all parties to the conflict to make proper inquiries to ensure accountability and to prevent this from happening again,” he added.
Iolanda Jaquemet, a spokesperson for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), said: “We do not know who carried it out, but survivors said they came under attack from another boat at 9 p.m.”
The crew used lights and shouted to signal this is a civilian boat. Nevertheless, it did not have any effect and a helicopter joined in the attack, said Jaquemet.


Turkey frees prominent opposition lawmaker Berberoglu

Turkish lawmaker Enis Berberoglu was accused of leaking footage to opposition Cumhuriyet newspaper suggesting Turkey had smuggled arms to Islamic rebels in Syria. (Reuters)
Updated 21 September 2018
0

Turkey frees prominent opposition lawmaker Berberoglu

  • Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the leader of Turkey’s pro-secular Republican People’s Party, or CHP, welcomed the release of Berberoglu
  • Kilicdaroglu led a 450-kilometer (280-mile) march from Ankara to the prison where Berberoglu was jailed

ISTANBUL: A Turkish court on Thursday released a prominent lawmaker from the main opposition party who had been sentenced to more than five years in prison for revealing state secrets and espionage.
State-run news agency Anadolu said Thursday the sentence of Enis Berberoglu, re-elected in June, has been suspended for as long as he remains a lawmaker.
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the leader of Turkey’s pro-secular Republican People’s Party, or CHP, welcomed the release of Berberoglu, tweeting: “We will continue to chase justice for everyone.”
Berberoglu met his family and CHP members, including Kilicdaroglu, after his release from an Istanbul prison, Turkey’s private Demiroren news agency reported.
Berberoglu, a 62 year-old former journalist, was initially sentenced to 25 years in prison in June 2017 for allegedly leaking footage to opposition Cumhuriyet newspaper suggesting Turkey had smuggled arms to Islamic rebels in Syria. In February, the sentence was reduced to five years and 10 months.
In July 2017, Kilicdaroglu led a 450-kilometer (280-mile) march from Ankara to the prison where Berberoglu was jailed to protest the government’s crackdown following an attempted coup.
Turkey has arrested more than 50,000 people since the failed coup and fired at least 110,000 others from government jobs. The crackdown was initially launched to deal with alleged coup-plotters, but critics say it has expanded to include other government opponents, such as academics, journalists and legislators.