Saudi Arabia blacklists Hezbollah supporter

In this May 13, 2016 file photo, Hashem Safieddine, head of Hezbollah's executive council, second left, is seen in a southern suburb of Beirut, Lebanon. The Trump administration imposed its first terrorism sanctions jointly with Saudi Arabia on Friday as President Donald Trump travels to the kingdom on his first overseas trip. The State Department announced sanctions on senior Hezbollah leader Hashem Safieddine and Muhammad al-Isawi, a leader of the Daesh group's operations on the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt. (AP)
Updated 20 May 2017
0

Saudi Arabia blacklists Hezbollah supporter

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia today classified Hashem Safieddine, 53, as a Hezbollah supporter against the backdrop of his responsibility for terrorist operations throughout the Middle East.
Al-Deen, who was born in the city of Sour, also supports the Bashar Assad regime.
Saudi Arabia will continue to combat Hezbollah’s terrorist activities with all available legal tools, and will continue to work with partners around the world to effectively curb Hezbollah’s extremist activities.
Hezbollah has long been spreading chaos and instability through launching terrorist attacks and engaging in criminal and illegal activities around the world.
Saudi Arabia will continue to classify Hezbollah activists, leaders and entities and impose sanctions on them as a result of the classification.
The classification of Al-Deen and the imposition of sanctions against him are based on the terrorist crimes and financing system and the Royal Decree A/44, which targets terrorists and their supporters, where assets of those names classified are frozen, according to Saudi regulations. Citizens and residents in the Kingdom are prohibited to deal with him.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.