Canadian man found guilty of trying to join Daesh

In this June 16, 2014 file photo, young Iraqis rally behind the Daesh group in front of the provincial government headquarters in Mosul, Iraq. A Canadian citizen of Afghan origin was convicted on Monday of violating a law banning people from trying to leave Canada to join the Daesh in Syria to commit a terrorist act. (AP Photo, File)
Updated 20 June 2017
0

Canadian man found guilty of trying to join Daesh

OTTAWA, Canada: A 29-year-old Canadian man on Monday became the first to be found guilty at trial under a law banning people from trying to leave Canada to commit a terrorist act.
Ismael Habib, the son of an Afghan father and a Canadian mother, had sought to reach Syria to join the Daesh group. He came under police investigation in 2015 and was arrested last year.
His wife and two young children were reportedly living in the war-torn nation.
Habib did not have a valid passport because it had been revoked after a failed 2012 attempt to reach Syria in which he was detained in Turkey and deported to Canada.
It was revealed at trial that Habib met a man who turned out to be an undercover policeman in an effort to obtain a fake passport.
The defense argued that police tricked him into confessing that he wanted to travel overseas to join Daesh and die for God.
Prosecutor Lyne Decarie said she was “satisfied” with the verdict, while defense attorney Charles Monpetit said it was “a bit of a shock.”
Sentencing arguments are scheduled for August.
Habib faces up to 10 years in prison under Canada’s terrorism act, which enables authorities to bring charges against anyone suspected of participating in the activity of a terrorist group.
It also applies to cases in which a person “leaves or attempts to leave Canada.”
In the past three years, authorities have detained several Canadians, including minors, for attempting to join Daesh.


Two men set off bomb in restaurant in Canada, 15 wounded

Updated 39 min 29 sec ago
0

Two men set off bomb in restaurant in Canada, 15 wounded

  • The blast went off in the Bombay Bhel restaurant where 15 people were taken to hospital, three of them with critical injuries
  • The two male suspects went into the restaurant and detonated their improvised explosive device, Peel Regional Police said

TORONTO, May 25 : Two unidentified men walked into a restaurant on Thursday in the Canadian city of Mississauga and set off a bomb, wounding more than a dozen people, and then fleeing, authorities said.
The blast went off in the Bombay Bhel restaurant at about 10:30 p.m. Fifteen people were taken to hospital, three of them with critical injuries, the Peel Regional Paramedic Service said in a Tweet.
The two male suspects went into the restaurant and detonated their improvised explosive device, Peel Regional Police said in a Tweet. The men then fled.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.


Police posted a photograph on Twitter showing two people with dark zip-up hoodies walking into an establishment with one of them appearing to be carrying an object.

The attack in Mississauga, Canada’s sixth largest city, comes a month after a driver plowed his white Ryder rental van into a lunch-hour crowd in Toronto, killing 10 people and injuring 15.
Mississauga is n Lake Ontario about 20 miles west of Toronto.