Saudi sources: Miniskirt model Kholoud released without charges

Model Kholoud from the controversial Snapchat clip. (video grab)
Updated 21 July 2017
0

Saudi sources: Miniskirt model Kholoud released without charges

JEDDAH: A 27-year-old aspiring model from Saudi Arabia who was taken into police custody on Tuesday has been released.
The release of the woman — identified only as Kholoud — was confirmed by a statement issued on behalf of the Ministry of Culture and Information and by a source at the Riyadh police that Arab News spoke to.
She was released on the same day she was arrested and a spokesperson on behalf of the police claimed she was never detained but merely brought in for questioning.
A statement released by Saudi Arabia's Center for International Communication, which is overseen by the Ministry of Culture and Information, confirmed that the police released the woman after several hours of questioning and the video was published without her knowledge.
The story developed over the past few days, when a short video of the woman wearing a black miniskirt and sleeveless crop top in a public Saudi historical landmark went viral. Women residing in Saudi Arabia are expected to wear a loose, black, full-length garment known as an abaya whenever they are in a public place.

Within hours of the video going viral, a police investigation was initiated, and early on Tuesday the Riyadh Police issued a statement indicating that the woman had been identified and questioned. The story made international headlines after it was first reported in local daily Okaz.
On social media many Saudis posted messages of support to the woman, saying that there was nothing wrong with what she had done, particularly since she had not offended anyone, since there was nobody at the site when she visited.
Others took a more conservative view, calling for the woman to be punished for promoting sin, stating that her actions violate the Kingdom’s cultural and religious traditions.


Iranian regime continues to feed sectarianism: Saudi deputy defense minister

Updated 4 min 2 sec ago
0

Iranian regime continues to feed sectarianism: Saudi deputy defense minister

  • “We have to choose between the chaos that Iran spreads and stability, security and development,” he said
  • A delegation led by Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, the Saudi deputy minister of defense, has arrived in Russia for an official visit on Tuesday

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Defense Minister Khalid bin Salman said the Iranian regime continues to feed sectarianism and disrespect international laws at the eighth Moscow Conference on International Security on Wednesday.

“We have to choose between the chaos that Iran spreads and stability, security and development,” he said adding that “Iran is spreading chaos in the region through destruction and bloodshed, and by supporting the militias of Hezbollah and Houthis.”

“Houthi militias continue to violate the resolutions of the Security Council and the Stockholm Agreement, ignored UN resolution 2216 and the Gulf initiative…our goal is to achieve stability for Yemeni citizens under a legitimate government,” he said.

The deputy defense minister also said that the Kingdom is witnessing today an unprecedented transformation and development to achieve the vision 2030.

A delegation led by Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, the Saudi deputy minister of defense, has arrived in Russia for an official visit on Tuesday, during which the members will take part in the eighth Moscow Conference on International Security and hold a number of meetings.

Prince Khalid was welcomed by Saudi Ambassador to Russia Dr. Raed Qurmali, military adviser Maj. Gen. Talal Al-Otaibi and Military Attache Gen. Mohammad Al-Mutairi, along with the deputy chief of staff of the Russian defense ministry and other civilian and military officials.