Anti-Terror Quartet meeting underscores demands made in Qatar crisis

Updated 31 July 2017
0

Anti-Terror Quartet meeting underscores demands made in Qatar crisis

MANAMA: The foreign ministers of the Anti-Terror Quartet (ATQ), which has raised concerns over Qatar’s alleged support of terror groups, have underscored the series of demands on Doha it deems necessary to end the diplomatic crisis.
Ministers of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt, and Bahrain met in Manama on Sunday as part of their ongoing consultations regarding the rift.
They urged Doha to stop its support and funding of terrorism, and to desist in providing safe haven for outlaws and those convicted of terrorism, financing them, promoting hatred and incitement, and interfering in the internal affairs of regional countries.
The ministers of the four countries reviewed the latest developments regarding the Qatari crisis and the communications they conducted at regional and international levels.
They underscored the importance of the six principles required of Doha, as declared at a previous meeting in Cairo. The ministers also underlined the importance of enforcing the 2013 and 2014 Riyadh Agreements, which have not been implemented by Qatar.
The four countries also highlighted the importance of Qatar complying with the 13 demands previously listed in order to achieve security on the regional and international levels.
Saudia Arabia, Bahrain, the UAE and Egypt expressed their readiness for dialogue with Qatar with the condition that it declares its genuine and practical willingness to stop supporting and funding terrorism and extremism.
The four countries confirmed that all the measures taken against Qatar are in line with their sovereignty and international law. They praised the role played by the Emir of Kuwait Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, to resolve the Qatari crisis within an Arab framework.
They also denounced Qatar’s taken actions to prevent its nationals from performing Haj this year, and praised the assistance provided by Saudi Arabia’s King Salman to welcome all pilgrims.
The ministers agreed to carry on consultations and coordination on this matter during their next meetings.
The meeting of foreign ministers was attended by Saudi Arabia’s Adel Al-Jubeir, the UAE’s Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, Egypt’s Sameh Shoukry and Bahrain’s Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmad bin Mohammed Al-Khalifa.


Boat carrying Syrian refugees sinks off Lebanon, most rescued

Updated 22 September 2018
0

Boat carrying Syrian refugees sinks off Lebanon, most rescued

  • The boat was ferrying the refugees illegally to Cyprus
  • Most were rescued by the Lebanese army but at least one child drowned

BEIRUT: A boat with around three dozen Syrian refugees on board sank off the coast of Lebanon on Saturday and most were rescued by the Lebanese army but at least one child drowned, security sources said.
The boat was ferrying the refugees illegally to Cyprus, some 180 km (110 miles) away, when it foundered off the coast of northern Lebanon, the sources said. Three more of the people on boat were in a serious condition in hospital.
Lebanon is hosting around 1 million registered refugees from Syria’s civil war, according to the UN refugee agency UNHCR. The Lebanese government puts the figure at around 1.5 million.