At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash: police, hospital

(Google maps)
Updated 01 August 2017
0

At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash: police, hospital

MADAGASCAR: At least 34 people died when a bus carrying young Christian worshippers plunged down a steep ravine in central Madagascar, police and hospital officials said Tuesday.
Police said 12 badly burned bodies were counted at the site, 70 kilometers (45 miles) north of the capital Antananarivo.
Hospitals said that 22 other deaths had been confirmed after the late-night crash.
“The bus struggled to climb a road on a hill and fell down a ravine about 20 meters deep,” police spokesman Herilalatiana Andrianarisaona told AFP.
“It caught fire after rolling several times.”
The main hospital in the capital Antananarivo said it had accounted for 18 dead, while a hospital in the town of Ankazobe bear the crash scene reported four dead.
Passengers on the packed bus were traveling from the central town of Soavinandriana to a church meeting in the north-western coastal port city of MaHajjanga when the accident occurred.


Portugal suspends visas for Iranians for 'security reasons'

Updated 9 min 49 sec ago
0

Portugal suspends visas for Iranians for 'security reasons'

  • Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva said Portugal does not play around with entry into its territory

LISBON: Portugal has suspended the issuance of entry visas for Iranian nationals for unspecified security reasons, Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva told a parliamentary committee on Tuesday.
Answering a question from a committee member on whether such a move had been taken, Santos Silva said during the televised meeting: “Yes, we suspended those for security reasons ... I will provide explanations later, but not publicly.”
“Portugal does not play around with entry into its territory,” he added, without disclosing when the decision was taken.
The chairman declared the meeting closed after about two hours without further off-camera testimony.
Joao Goncalves Pereira, the lawmaker from the conservative CDS-PP party who asked the question, told Reuters: “We received information that visas for Iranians had been suspended for two or three weeks, and we just wanted to confirm that.”
He would not say what was the source of that original information or whether any Iranian nationals had complained about the situation.
Foreign ministry officials had no immediate comment and nobody was available for comment in the Iranian embassy in Lisbon.