Zidane vows to extend Real Madrid contract

Real Madrid’s coach Zinedine Zidane during a training session in the Spanish capital on Saturday. (AFP)
Updated 12 August 2017
0

Zidane vows to extend Real Madrid contract

MADRID: Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane confirmed on Saturday he will sign a contract extension in the near future with the club he has guided to back-to-back Champions League titles.
“I’m happy because it’s a sign of confidence, that we have done good work,” Zidane told a pre-match press conference ahead of Real’s Spanish Super Cup showdown with Barcelona when quizzed on reports over his future.
Madrid sports daily AS reported the Frenchman will be rewarded with a three-year deal for his feats in not only delivering two Champions Leagues in just 20 months in charge, but also Real’s first La Liga title for five years.
“I enjoy every day here,” added Zidane, who also ended his illustrious playing career at the Santiago Bernabeu.
“I’m lucky enough to have this extraordinary squad and I am very happy with it.”
Zidane added a sixth trophy to his burgeoning collection as a coach when Madrid saw off Manchester United 2-1 to retain the UEFA Super Cup on Tuesday.
However, he acknowledged that even his future will depend on maintaining his winning streak given the high demands placed on coaches at Madrid.
“You could sign a contract for 10 or 20 years, but I know where I am and what I have to do,” he continued.
“Within a year you could be gone.”
Zidane also warned the European champions against a Barcelona backlash at the Camp Nou on Sunday.
Barca are still reeling from the loss of Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain for a world record €222 million ($262 million) with their attempts to land a replacement in Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele of Borussia Dortmund so far falling short.
Zidane admitted “there aren’t many players” with Neymar’s individual qualities, but claimed his absence would not give Madrid the upper hand over two El Clasico clashes in four days with the second leg of the Super cup to come at the Bernabeu on Wednesday.
“They have had changes but Barcelona are Barcelona. We know how they play and their idea of how to play isn’t going to change,” said Zidane.
“Neymar isn’t replaceable but there will be others that will do very well. If we think it is going to be easier tomorrow we will be mistaken.”


Francesco Molinari sees off Jordan Spieth, Tiger Woods to win maiden major at the Open

Updated 22 July 2018
0

Francesco Molinari sees off Jordan Spieth, Tiger Woods to win maiden major at the Open

  • At the age of 35, he becomes the first Italian ever to win a Major
  • Molinari had started the day three shots behind a trio of overnight leaders in Schauffele, Kisner and Spieth

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland: Italy’s Francesco Molinari emerged from the pack on a thrilling final day at Carnoustie to win the British Open on Sunday, seeing off the challenges of reigning champion Jordan Spieth and a revived Tiger Woods to win the first major of his career.
At the age of 35, he becomes the first Italian ever to win a Major, after keeping his cool in remarkable fashion when almost all around him seemed to be losing theirs on a windy afternoon.
A two-under-par round of 69 on the Scottish links allowed him to finish on eight-under, two shots clear of the quartet of Justin Rose, Rory McIlroy, Xander Schauffele and Kevin Kisner.
Molinari had started the day three shots behind a trio of overnight leaders in Schauffele, Kisner and Spieth, who were all nine under par when they teed off.
The latter had been hoping to become the first player since Padraig Harrington a decade ago to retain the Claret Jug, but he faded with a final-round 76 to finish on four under par.
Meanwhile Woods, who was playing with Molinari, was in the outright lead at one point on Sunday but ended with a 71 to finish in a tie for sixth with England’s Eddie Pepperell and Kevin Chappell of the United States.