Suspected Al-Shabab attackers kill 3 in Kenya’s Lamu — official

Somali Militia of Al-Shabab seen during exercises at their military training camp outside Mogadishu Tuesday Nov. 4, 2008. (AP)
Updated 18 August 2017
0

Suspected Al-Shabab attackers kill 3 in Kenya’s Lamu — official

MOMBASA, Kenya: Suspected members of Somalia’s Al-Shabab Islamist group beheaded at least three men overnight in an attack on a Kenyan village, authorities said on Friday, a month after nine were killed in a similar way nearby.
“They were slaughtered. Their heads were cut off from the rest of their bodies,” said a police source, asking not to be named.
Police said four bodies had been found at Maleli village in Kenya’s coastal county of Lamu. Area county commissioner Gilbert Kitiyo said he was aware of three deaths.
“A group of armed suspects raided and killed three locals. All the three were men,” Kitiyo told Reuters by phone, adding the suspects set houses ablaze before disappearing into a nearby forest.
“We cannot speculate, but from previous attacks, the nature and style of this attack can only be associated with these Al-Shabab criminals.”
In July suspected Al-Shabab attackers fighters beheaded nine men in villages near Maleli, and killed three police officers in another attack in the area.
The Al-Qaeda-linked group aims to overthrow Somalia’s UN-backed government and impose its own strict interpretation of Islam. They have intensified attacks in Kenya since it sent troops into Somalia in 2011.
They have also claimed responsibility for a series of cross-border attacks in recent months, including a spate of roadside bombings targeting security forces.


Pompeo plans N.Korea meeting at 'earliest possible date': US spokeswoman

Updated 21 June 2018
0

Pompeo plans N.Korea meeting at 'earliest possible date': US spokeswoman

WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo plans to meet with North Korean officials “at the earliest possible date” to implement the outcome of the recent leaders’ summit, a State Department spokeswoman said on Thursday.
Spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters there had been contact with the North Korea government since the summit. “Secretary Pompeo will be meeting with them and talking with them at the earliest possible date,” she said, adding: “We don’t have any meetings or travel to announce at this time.”