Lebanese Army winds down Daesh offensive
Lebanese Army winds down Daesh offensive
Operations on the third day of the offensive were limited to clearing recaptured hills and opening main routes for armored vehicles, a Lebanese military source said.
The source said the army was committed to avoiding civilian casualties, and denied that there were negotiations with Daesh.
Lebanese Army Command said their units had seized a large quantity of weapons, ammunitions and other military equipment from Daesh caves and trenches. They also seized phones, cameras and drugs.
The American Embassy in Beirut expressed “the pride of the US in supporting the Lebanese Army, the only defender of Lebanon in its battle against Daesh.”
The embassy wished a speedy recovery to troops wounded in the operation, and offered its condolences to the families of three Lebanese soldiers who died in a roadside bombing on Sunday.
The French Embassy also offered condolences, and said: “France and Lebanon are facing a common enemy. We fully support the Lebanese Army in its battle against Daesh.”
Meanwhile, Lebanese militant movement Hezbollah has used weaponized drones against Daesh across the border in war-ravaged Syria, its media arm said, according to AFP.
A source on the ground told AFP it was the first time that Hezbollah had deployed weaponized drones against Daesh in Syria, where the Shiite movement is fighting to bolster President Bashar Assad’s regime.
“The armed drones of the Resistance (Hezbollah) targeted Daesh positions and fortifications in western Qalamun,” Hezbollah’s War Media channel said.
On Saturday, Hezbollah said it had launched an operation against Daesh.
A source on the ground told AFP on Monday that “this is the first time Hezbollah has used weaponized drones in a clash with IS (Daesh).”
The group had deployed such drones in previous clashes with other opponents, “but now we are unleashing a barrage of bombs,” the source said.
Security along Lebanon’s unmarked eastern border with Syria has long been a concern.
Last month, Hezbollah waged a six-day assault against Al-Qaeda’s former affiliate in the border region, which ended in the evacuation of the hard-liners and thousands of civilians.
The current offensive targets remaining territory further north along the frontier where Daesh militants have entrenched themselves.
The Lebanese Army has denied any coordination with Hezbollah or the Syrian regime’s army on the ongoing assault.
Daesh itself has used weaponized drones to defend territory it holds in Iraq and Syria from US-backed offensives.
Migrant charity files manslaughter complaint against cargo ship, Libya
- The migrant rescue boat Open Arms docked in Spain on Saturday carrying the bodies of a woman and a four-year-old boy
- Open Arms claimed the ship’s crew had seen the migrant dingy but had failed to provide help
PALMA DE MALLORCA: The charity Proactiva Open Arms has filed a complaint, including of involuntary manslaughter, with the Spanish police against a cargo ship for failing to help migrants adrift on a destroyed dinghy in the Mediterranean.
The captain of the charity’s rescue boat said on Saturday he also plans to file a separate suit against the Libyan lifeguard.
The migrant rescue boat Open Arms docked in Spain on Saturday carrying the bodies of a woman and a four-year-old boy as well as one woman who was found alive floating on the remains of a dinghy off the coast of Libya last week.
The boat took four days to arrive in the Spanish port of Palma after finding the migrants adrift about 80 miles (130 km)off Libya’s coast after being abandoned by the Libyan coast guard, the charity said.
“We have filed a complaint against the captain of the (merchant ship) Triades for failing to help and for involuntary manslaughter and we’ll also do it against the captain of the Libyan patrol,” Oscar Camps, the Open Arms captain and founder of the NGO, said at a news conference.
Open Arms claimed the ship’s crew had seen the migrant dingy but had failed to provide help. Reuters could not find a way to contact the captain of Triades, which flies a Panamanian flag. The ship is currently moored in the Libyan port of Misrata, where officials could not be reached for comment.
The Libyan lifeguard also left the three migrants to float amid the shattered remains of the raft after the two women and the boy had refused to board their patrol ship, the charity said.
Libya’s coast guard disputed the account on Tuesday but offered no explanation for how the three migrants came to be stranded on the remains of the dinghy.
The Spanish charity operates in the central Mediterranean, one of the deadliest areas of the sea and favored by people smugglers operating out of Libya.
Charity boats have been locked out of Italian ports, the closest European landing point, since Italy’s new government vowed to crack down on illegal immigration from Northern Africa.
Open Arms found itself at the center of the European immigrant crisis at the start of the month when it rescued 60 migrants off Libya and brought them to Barcelona in Spain after being refused docking in Italy and Malta.