Brotherhood figures among 296 names added to Egypt terror list

Riot police take their positions with their armoured personnel vehicles during clashes with supporters of Muslim Brotherhood and ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi in the Cairo suburb of Matariya, in this November 28, 2014 file photo. (Reuters)
Updated 01 September 2017
0

Brotherhood figures among 296 names added to Egypt terror list

CAIRO: An Egyptian court on Wednesday published the names of 296 people who have been added to the country’s terror list, including some with links to the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood.
The verdict, issued by Cairo’s criminal court on July 24, ruled that the 296 people be added to the national terrorist list for three years.
It said some of the defendants were found guilty of leading the Brotherhood, being members, funding the group, or harming the national economy and public security.
As per Egyptian law, those on the list are barred from leaving the country, their assets have been frozen and their passports canceled.
The list of names includes several Brotherhood leaders living outside the country. Among them are Mahmoud Ezzat, the group’s deputy supreme guide who fled Egypt in 2013, and Secretary-General Ibrahim Mounir, who lives in in London.
Both were found guilty of planning terror attacks in Egypt while abroad. Figures designated on the list and living abroad could be arrested upon their return.
In December 2013, the government listed the Brotherhood as a terrorist group, accusing it of involvement in a series of deadly attacks against the state.
“Every country that wages a war on terrorism has to undergo three main steps to paralyze a group: Leadership decapitation, cutting sources of financing, and hampering recruitment by labeling it a terrorist organization,” said Said Sadek, a Cairo-based political sociology professor.
Paul J. Sulliven, adjunct professor of security studies at Georgetown University, said: “Terrorists need to be contained by squeezing terror groups of their financing and other means of recruiting and retaining people.
“But containment isn’t enough. With the right education, economic and religious programs and efforts, Egypt could help rid itself of violent extremism and groups that may want to harm it.”


Algeria deports nearly 400 migrants back to Niger

Updated 15 July 2018
0

Algeria deports nearly 400 migrants back to Niger

  • The IOM and EU are intensifying efforts to return African migrants home
  • 391 migrants from 16 west and central African countries had arrived in Assamaka

NIAMEY: Algeria has deported nearly 400 African migrants trying to reach Europe, sending them back over the Sahara desert into neighboring Niger, the UN migration agency (IOM) and Niger said on Sunday.
The IOM and European Union are intensifying efforts to return African migrants home, after thousands have died making the dangerous crossing to Europe across the Mediterranean in overcrowded boats. Many get stuck before ever reaching Africa’s northern coast, either in Libya, where they suffer slavery and abuse at the hands of militias, or Algeria.
IOM operations officer Livia Manente told Reuters in an email that the group of 391 migrants from 16 west and central African countries had arrived in the Nigerien town of Assamaka on Friday on about 20-30 vehicles, after being stopped while heading to work in various Algerian cities.
“They claim their phones were confiscated and that conditions were poor — not much food and water, crowded rooms),” she said. “They were transported in trucks after the locality of In Guezzam and then obliged to walk across the border ... including families with pregnant women and children.”
Aboubacar Ajouel, the mayor of Agadez, the last destination for the migrants, confirmed that they had arrived.
Algeria declined to confirm this particular deportation, but said that 20,000 migrants had been prevented from reaching Europe by Algerian authorities since January, thanks to security measures put in place at its borders with Mali and Niger.
“We have no choice but to prevent them,” Hassen Kacimi, director of Algeria’s interior ministry in charge of migration, told Reuters by telephone.