Suicide bomber kills six at Somalia restaurant
Suicide bomber kills six at Somalia restaurant
The Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab group said it was behind the attack.
“At least six people died and several others were wounded. A suicide bomber blew up himself in a restaurant,” major Hussein Osman, a police officer told Reuters from Beledweyne.
The Sunday afternoon blast took place outside the office of the governor of the Hiran region, where he was holding a meeting, police and residents said.
“We are behind the attack at the Hiran governor’s headquarters. There are casualties. We targeted the workers of the Hiran administration,” said Abdiasis Abu Musab, Al-Shabab’s military operation spokesman.
Beledweyne is about 340 km north of Mogadishu.
Residents said clan elders were among the dead.
“The suicide bomber who had an explosive jacket stood inside the restaurant and blew up himself. We were heading to a meeting in the governor’s office when it happened,” said Farah Ali, a local elder.
Somalia has been at war since 1991, when clan-based warlords overthrew dictator Siad Barre and then turned on each other.
Al Shabab has in the past carried out frequent attacks in Mogadishu and other parts of Somalia in a bid to topple the country’s Western-backed government and drive out African Union peacekeeping troops.
US wants Afghan-led peace talks with Taliban, Ghani says
- The US media on Monday, citing anonymous US officials, reported that Washington was keen to hold direct talks with the Taliban.
- Secretary of State Michael Pompeo visited Afghanistan last week to reinforce US support for the talks.
KABUL: A spokesman for President Ashraf Ghani on Tuesday said that the US wants peace talks with the Taliban to be led by the Afghan government, dismissing reports that Washington was open to holding direct talks with the militants to end the 17-year war.
“The United States of America is jointly working with the government of Afghanistan on a strategy for peace process,” Duranai Waziri, spokeswoman for President Ashraf Ghani, told Arab News.
“Any talks that will be held about the political future of Afghanistan will be between the Afghan government and the Taliban under the leadership of the Afghan government,” she said.
Waziri said Washington would, however, facilitate the talks.
The US media on Monday, citing anonymous US officials, reported that Washington was keen to hold direct talks with the Taliban, a longstanding demand of the militants for ending the conflict.
The top US commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, in a statement late Monday night, also rejected media reports that quoted him talking about engaging the Taliban in direct talks.
“Resolute Support refutes reports by the media that the Resolute Support commander said the US is ready to join direct negotiations with the Taliban during a visit with Afghan provincial and government representatives in Kandahar, July 16,” the statement said. “The United States is not a substitute for the Afghan people or the Afghan government,” the statement said.
Gen. Nickolson said that he was only affirming Secretary of State Michael Pompeo’s statement in which he said peace talks would include a discussion of international forces and that the US was ready to work with the Taliban, the Afghan government and the Afghan people toward lasting peace.
Sayed Ihsan Taheri, a spokesman for the Afghan High Peace Council, said that the US role would be to speed up the peace process and that any talks would be held under the Afghan government’s umbrella and owned by Afghans.
“This engagement is only for speeding up the Afghan led and owned direct talks to start between the Afghan government and the Taliban,” he told Arab News.
The Taliban did not officially respond to confirm or deny the reports.
The group has long refused direct talks with the Afghan government, demanding instead to negotiate with Washington, and has shown a preparedness to speak with Kabul only when all foreign troops have left the country.
The Taliban have been standing firm on their stance despite Ghani’s unilateral extension of a holiday cease-fire last month in the hope of encouraging the militants to come to the bargaining table.
After the Taliban stepped up deadly attacks, Ghani ordered government forces to resume military operations this month.
Asked if the US is willing to hold direct talks with the Taliban, the State Department said on Monday that the US was “exploring all avenues to advance a peace process in close consultation with the Afghan government,” the Associated Press reported.
The department added that “any negotiations over the political future of Afghanistan will be between the Taliban and the Afghan government.”
Last August, President Donald Trump announced a new strategy for Afghanistan which saw a surge in the number of offensives against the militants.
Secretary of State Michael Pompeo visited Afghanistan last week to reinforce US support for the talks. He said that the US was ready to “support, facilitate and participate” in discussions with the Taliban over the role of international forces in Afghanistan but that the peace process would be Afghan-led.
The US in an invasion toppled the Taliban government in Afghanistan following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, and ousted the Taliban regime that had hosted Al-Qaeda.
The US currently has about 15,000 troops in Afghanistan, mostly for training government forces.