Badminton: Son Wan-Ho crushes Lin Dan in Japan Open

South Korea’s Son Wan-Ho will face world champion Viktor Axelsen of Denmark in the semis. (AFP)
Updated 22 September 2017
0

Badminton: Son Wan-Ho crushes Lin Dan in Japan Open

TOKYO: World number one Son Wan-Ho overpowered two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan of China at the Japan Badminton Open Friday, while newly crowned women’s world champion Nozomi Okuhara reached the women’s semifinals.
South Korea’s Son beat the Chinese great with a hard-fought 21-15, 21-15 victory and now faces world champion Viktor Axelsen of Denmark in the semis.
Axelsen, who clinched beat Lin to clinch the world title in Glasgow last month, brushed off a challenge from Indian ace Kidambi Srikanth 21-17, 21-17.
Defending champion Lee Chong Wei squeezed past fourth-seeded rising star Chou Tien-chen of Taipei 21-11, 15-21, 21-19.
The Malaysian, who has won the Japan Open six times, will face Shi Yuqi in the other semifinal after the Chinese second seed beat India’s HS Prannoy 21-15, 21-14.
In the women’s draw, Okuhara pleased home fans with a 21-16, 23-21 win against Beiwen Zhang, representing the US.
Okuhara is bidding to reclaim the trophy on home soil, after winning it in 2015.
On Thursday, she beat her Pusarla V Sindhu, reprising her victory over the Indian in the world championships final.
But the home fans were left disappointed elsewhere in the draw when second seed Akane Yamaguchi, winner here in 2013, was defeated by Spanish fifth seed Carolina Marin.


Qatar-owned Paris Saint-Germain under investigation once again over financial fair play rules

Updated 24 September 2018
0

Qatar-owned Paris Saint-Germain under investigation once again over financial fair play rules

  • French champions again in the spotlight over possible financial fair play irregularities.
  • In June, UEFA’s Club Financial Control Body closed its investigation only to re-open it just a month later.

PARIS: UEFA said on Monday it had ordered accusations that Paris Saint-Germain has broken its financial fair play rules to be referred to its financial unit “for further investigation.”
European football’s governing body initially opened an investigation into the Qatari-owned club’s spending in September 2017 under pressure from some of Europe’s biggest clubs after the French club signed Brazilian midfielder Neymar for a world-record €222 million ($261 million).
Within weeks the club had also agreed a deal to sign teenage striker Kylian Mbappe from Monaco for €180 million.
In June, UEFA’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) closed its investigation only to re-open it just a month later.
UEFA said on Monday the case had now been referred “back to the CFCB Investigatory Chamber for further investigation.”