Bangladesh add backup batsmen amid Tamim doubts

South African bowler Keshav Maharaj (R) celebrates after his dismissal of Bangladesh batsman Mominul Haque (L) during the third day of the first Test cricket match between South Africa and Bangladesh in Potchefstroom on Sept. 30, 2017. (AFP/Gianluigi Guercia)
Updated 06 October 2017
0

Bangladesh add backup batsmen amid Tamim doubts

DHAKA: Bangladesh on Friday added batsman Mominul Haque to their squad for a three-match one-day international series in South Africa amid doubts about opener Tamim Iqbal.
Mominul is a Test regular but played the last of his 26 one-day games against Sri Lanka at the 2015 World Cup.
“We have concerns about the fitness of Tamim. So we thought we might need a back up,” said Bangladeshi selector Habibul Bashar.
“Mominul is already with the team. So his name popped up in our mind immediately,” he added.
A hamstring injury has forced Tamim out of the second Test beginning Friday at Bloemfontein but team physiotherapist Thihan Chandramohan was hopeful he would recover in time for the ODI series which starts October 15.
Tamim pulled a muscle during a three-day practice match at Benoni last month and did not appear fully fit during Bangladesh’s 333-run defeat in the first Test at Potchefstroom.
Pushed down-order to number five, he made 39 in the first innings. It was the first time in his Test career that he could not open the innings. He scored a duck in the second innings.
All-rounder Shakib Al Hasan also returned to the ODI squad after taking a break from Tests.
The ODI games will start in Kimberly and then go to Paarl and East London on October 18 and 22.
Bangladesh will also play two Twenty20 internationals during the month-long tour.
Bangladesh squad
Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), Tamim Iqbal, Liton Das, Soumya Sarkar, Imrul Kayes, Mominul Haque, Mahmudullah Riyad, Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib Al Hasan, Sabbir Rahman, Nasir Hossain, Mehedi Hasan, Mustafizur Rahman, Taskin Ahmed, Rubel Hossain, Mohammad Saifuddin


Saudi Arabia set to face Uruguay veterans in key World Cup clash

Updated 18 June 2018
0

Saudi Arabia set to face Uruguay veterans in key World Cup clash

  • Carlos Sanchez and Cristian Rodriguez set to start for Oscar Tabarez's side
  • Green Falcon are seeking redemption after Russia thrashing

ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia: Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez is poised to hand starting places to veteran opening-game substitutes Carlos Sanchez and Cristian Rodriguez when they meet Saudi Arabia on Wednesday.
With the reputation of being a midfield hardman, Rodriguez — whose nickname “The Onion” was passed on from his father — has appeared for his country more than 100 times. He played at Paris Saint-Germain, Benfica, Porto and Atletico Madrid before returning home to top-flight Penarol. Sanchez has won 33 caps but has not started for his country since March last year. They both came off the bench before the hour mark against Egypt and helped change the game.
“What’s important is that we won our opening game ... and that we win the next one,” Rodriguez said.
An avid horse rider and kickboxer, he is proudly old-school and views video review as an enemy of spontaneity.
“Personally, I don’t like VAR because the Uruguayan — well, Latin American — style relies on being fast-footed,” Rodriguez said. “It doesn’t help us. It does help referees, though, especially when there are serious fouls.”
The two-time champions are aware of the Russian tournament’s potential for upsets and they were pushed hard by Egypt on Friday.
“This is a very balanced World Cup,” Rodriguez said. “Nobody really expected results like the ones with from Argentina and Brazil.”
Those perennial contenders were held to draws in their opening games.
Another surprise came in Uruguay’s Group A, when Russia shook off a shaky recent record to thrash Saudi Arabia 5-0 in Moscow.
The game, attended by Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman, forced the Saudi team and coach Juan Antonio Pizzi into damage control. The Saudi Arabian Football Federation has gone through three national team coaches in the past year. Its vice president, Nawaf Al-Tamayat, publicly scolded players’ “confusion and distractedness” and described the loss as being beyond “an honorable level.” Pizzi called the defeat a “shameful situation.”
The feeling is that the humiliation by Russia may force Pizzi to abandon his ambitions of fielding an attack-minded team for a more conservative lineup, but the Green Falcons only play one up top and need a positive result if they are to get out of the group.