800 Yazidis refugees resettled in Canada: Minister

A displaced Yazidi family flees violence from forces loyal to Daesh in Sinjar town, in this file photo. (Reuters)
Updated 06 October 2017
0

800 Yazidis refugees resettled in Canada: Minister

OTTAWA: Nearly 800 Yazidi women and girls and others who fled persecution by the Daesh group in northern Iraq have been resettled in Canada, the immigration minister said Thursday.
Canada’s Parliament last year, with Iraqi activist Nadia Murad on hand, declared the persecution of Yazidis a genocide and said this country would take in up to 1,200.
“Today, I am proud (to say that) almost 800 Yazidi women and girls, and other survivors of Daesh have already arrived, and have begun the process of rebuilding their lives with the assistance of private sponsors and community groups all across Canada,” Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen told the House of Commons.
“I continue to be amazed by the generosity and compassion extended to this highly vulnerable group by all Canadians,” he added.
Thousands of women and girls, especially from the Yazidi minority, suffered horrific abuse in Daesh controlled areas, including rape, abduction, slavery and cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment.
Many were captured as spoils of war to be used as sex slaves after Daesh militants massacred Yazidis in Sinjar in 2014.
The women were sold and traded across the militants’ self-proclaimed “caliphate” in Syria and Iraq.
Around 3,000 are believed to remain in captivity, the UN Assistance Mission to Iraq (UNAMI) and the UN rights office said in an August report.
The report also raised particular concerns over the situation of hundreds of children born from the sexual violence risked facing a lifetime of discrimination and abuse.
On Tuesday, another Yazidi survivor, Shireen Jerdo Ibrahim, testified before a US congressional committee, seeking US help for her community.


Philippine troops clash with remnants of defeated extremist group

Updated 18 June 2018
0

Philippine troops clash with remnants of defeated extremist group

  • The military was targetting Abu Dar, who the government believes is the new “emir” of Daesh in Southeast Asia
  • Daesh-inspired militants seized parts of the southern city of Marawi in May 2017, raising concerns about the influence of the extremist group in Southeast Asia

MANILA: Philippine troops have clashed with remnants of a pro-Daesh group that held a southern city for five months last year, the army said on Monday.
Col. Romeo Brawner, the deputy commander of Joint Task Force Marawi, said security forces conducted air and ground assaults in the province of Lanao del Sur on Sunday in a bid to flush out Maute rebels and the group’s new leader.
Brawner said he could not confirm if there had been any casualties in military operations in two towns near Marawi City, which is now undergoing rehabilitation with some residents returning to their homes.
The military was targetting Abu Dar, who the government believes is the new “emir” of Daesh in Southeast Asia, Brawner said. It could not be independently verified if the Daesh has chosen Dar as its new leader in the region.
Daesh-inspired militants seized parts of the southern city of Marawi in May 2017, raising concerns about the influence of the extremist group in Southeast Asia.
The army ended combat operations after wresting control in southern Marawi in October, and has shifted its focus to the island’s marshes where other pro-Daesh militants operate.
The siege of Marawi, the country’s biggest battle since World War Two, displaced some 350,000 residents and more than 1,100 people were killed, mostly militants.
Military and security experts have said militants who escaped from Marawi are recruiting fighters using looted cash, gold and jewelry worth tens of millions of dollars.