US lifts Sudan sanctions
US lifts Sudan sanctions
In a move that completes a process begun by former President Barack Obama and which was opposed by human rights groups, President Donald Trump removed a U.S. trade embargo and other penalties that had effectively cut Sudan off from much of the global financial system.
The U.S. decision marked a major turnaround for the government of President Omar Hassan Al-Bashir, who once played host to Osama bin Laden and is wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of orchestrating genocide in Darfur.
The lifting of sanctions reflects a U.S. assessment that Sudan has made progress in meeting Washington’s demands, including cooperation on counter-terrorism, working to resolve internal conflicts and allowing more humanitarian aid into Darfur and other rebellious border areas, the officials said.
State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the sanctions relief was in recognition of Sudan's "sustained positive actions" but that more improvement was needed.
The Trump administration also secured a commitment from Sudan that it would "not pursue arms deals" with North Korea, and Washington will apply "zero tolerance" in ensuring Khartoum's compliance, one of the officials said.
But they said Khartoum's assurances on North Korea were not a condition for lifting sanctions, some of which had been in place for 20 years and have hobbled the Sudanese economy. The official said Khartoum was not believed to have diplomatic relations with Pyongyang and that was not expected to change.
Sudan also has recently distanced itself diplomatically from Iran, another U.S. arch-foe.
Arab News has learned from sources that the Sudanese government has praised Saudi efforts in persuading the US government to lift sanctions.
What does lifting of US sanctions against Sudan mean?
Yemeni government and Houthi movement invited to September 6 peace talks — UN
- UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths is trying to negotiate an end to the three-year conflict in Yemen
- The conflict has killed more than 10,000 people and pushed Yemen to the verge of starvation
GENEVA: The United Nations has invited the Yemeni government and the Houthi movement that controls most of the north to peace talks in Geneva on September 6, a UN spokeswoman said on Friday.
UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths is trying to negotiate an end to the three-year conflict, which has killed more than 10,000 people and pushed Yemen to the verge of starvation.
“I can confirm the office of Special Envoy has sent invitations to the government of Yemen and to Ansarullah,” UN spokeswoman Alessandra Vellucci told a Geneva news briefing.