Quick opens with a shutout in Kings’ 2-0 win over Flyers

Michael Cammalleri #14 of the Los Angeles Kings makes a pass from Valtteri Filppula #51 of the Philadelphia Flyers during opening night of the Los Angeles Kings 2017-2018 season, in Los Angeles on Thursday. (AFP)
Updated 06 October 2017
0

Quick opens with a shutout in Kings’ 2-0 win over Flyers

LOS ANGELES: Jonathan Quick made 35 saves in the first season-opening shutout of his career, and the Los Angeles Kings won in new head coach John Stevens’ debut, 2-0 over the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday night.
Trevor Lewis and Tyler Toffoli scored for the Kings, who immediately got a vintage game from their well-rested goalie.
Quick injured his groin in the Kings’ season opener last year, eventually missing 59 games. He returned in February, but could not stop the Kings from missing the playoffs for the second time in three years. That led to coach Darryl Sutter’s firing and the promotion of Stevens, Sutter’s longtime assistant and the former Philadelphia head coach.
Michal Neuvirth stopped 25 shots for Philadelphia, which followed up its season-opening win at San Jose with a frustrating offensive night.
After a scoreless first period highlighted by Neuvirth’s stunning glove save on Kings captain Anze Kopitar, Lewis put Los Angeles ahead midway through the second on a setup from Nick Shore. Toffoli scored with 2:21 to play on a pass from former Flyers forward Jeff Carter.
Quick was outstanding in the third period, making 17 saves and surviving a series of short-handed situations. The 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner posted the seventh October shutout of his career.
Stevens took over the Kings this summer after serving as an assistant for the previous seven seasons, winning two Stanley Cup rings as Sutter’s defensive specialist. Before heading to LA, Stevens coached the Flyers for parts of four seasons from 2006-10, leading them to the Eastern Conference finals in 2008.
Three Kings also made their NHL debuts in a revamped lineup following the firings of Sutter and general manager Dean Lombardi.
Alex Iafallo, a speedy 23-year-old forward from Minnesota-Duluth, skated on Los Angeles’ top line with Kopitar and Dustin Brown in his first professional hockey game after winning a roster spot in camp.
Defensemen Oscar Fantenberg and Kurtis MacDermid also got their first shot with the Kings, who want to be faster and younger in the post-Sutter era. Alec Martinez, the Kings’ 2014 Stanley Cup Final hero, missed the opener with a lower-body injury.
Defenseman Travis Sanheim made his NHL debut for the Flyers, who picked him in the first round in 2014. The 21-year-old Manitoba native got a double minor for high-sticking Lewis in the head late in the second period.
Staples Center observed a moment of silence before the game for the victims of the Las Vegas mass shooting. They included 22-year-old Christina Duarte, who started work with the Kings this summer as a fan service associate. The Kings wore a sticker on their helmets bearing her initials, “CD,” inside a heart.


Egypt allows fans back into stadiums for domestic games

Updated 15 August 2018
0

Egypt allows fans back into stadiums for domestic games

  • Crowds banned from stadiums since 2012 Port Said riots killed dozens
  • Supporters complained the Egyptian Premier league had become dull

CAIRO: Egypt will allow crowds back into football matches more than six years after dozens of people were killed, during rioting, at a match in Port Said.

Up to 5,000 fans will be allowed to attend Egyptian Premier League games from Sept. 1, Sports Minister Ashraf Sobhi told local media.

The move to allow partial crowds back into domestic matches follows demands from many supporters, who said the sport had become dull without spectators.

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) made similar announcements in the past but failed to get approval from the interior ministry.

The crowd ban originally came into effect following the Port Said tragedy in February 2012 - Egypt’s worst football disaster.

More than 70 Al-Ahly fans were killed when massive riots swept through the stadium.

The ban was briefly lifted in February 2015 but was immediately re-instated after more than 20 Zamalek supporters were killed in a stampede, after security forces fired tear gas, before a league game against Enppi at Cairo’s Army Defence Stadium.

Fans were still allowed to attend continental games for Egyptian clubs, as well as matches featuring the national team.