Malaysia arrests eight over suspected terror links

Malaysia has been on high alert since suicide bombers and gunmen linked to Daesh launched multiple attacks in Jakarta, the capital of neighboring Indonesia, in January 2016. (Reuters)
Updated 07 October 2017
0

Malaysia arrests eight over suspected terror links

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has arrested four foreigners and four Malaysians for suspected involvement in terrorist activities linked to Abu Sayyaf, the Daesh group and Jemaah Islamiyah, the police said on Saturday.
Among the foreigners arrested were three Filipinos, one of whom is a permanent resident in Malaysia, and an Albanian.
The arrests were made in the states of Sabah, Selangor and Perak between Sept. 27 and October 6.
Five suspects were arrested in the Borneo state of Sabah, suspected of assisting the Abu Sayyaf militant group’s infiltration into Malaysia.
Police said the arrested Albanian, a law lecturer at a local public university, has contact with Daesh.
Another two arrested are former convicts, previously found guilty in 2016 of participating in terrorist activities.
One was arrested under suspicion of recruiting convicts in prison and planning an attack on Muslim, Christian and Hindu places of worship in Malaysia. The suspect is also said to harbor information about a member of the Tanzim Al-Qaeda Malaysia, a group linked to Jemaah Islamiyah, who remains at large.
The other was an accomplice suspected of recruiting two Malaysians.
Malaysia has arrested hundreds of people over the past few years for suspected links to militant groups.
The Southeast Asian country has been on high alert since suicide bombers and gunmen linked to Daesh launched multiple attacks in Jakarta, the capital of neighboring Indonesia, in January 2016.
A grenade attack on a bar on the outskirts of the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, in June last year wounded eight people. Daesh claimed responsibility for the attacks, the first such attacks on Malaysian soil.


Japan heatwave kills over a dozen, 12,000 rushed to hospital

Updated 22 July 2018
0

Japan heatwave kills over a dozen, 12,000 rushed to hospital

  • More than 9,900 people were rushed to hospital during the week to mid-July
  • Kyodo News agency reported that at least 11 people, mostly elderly citizens, died on Saturday

TOKYO: Japan’s severe heatwave killed at least 15 people and sent more than 12,000 to hospital in the first two weeks of July, official figures show as the temperature neared 40 degrees C (104 F) in many cities on Sunday.
Twelve people died of heatstroke in the week ending July 15 after three perished in the preceding week, according to latest data.
More than 9,900 people were rushed to hospital during the week to mid-July, jumping from 2,700 in the previous week, the Fire and Disaster Management Agency said.
The scorching weather shows no signs of easing.
Kyodo News agency reported that at least 11 people, mostly elderly citizens, died on Saturday alone from suspected heatstroke.
A total of 3,091 ambulances were dispatched in Tokyo on Saturday, a record for a single day, it said.
The weather agency said Sunday’s temperatures exceeded 35 degrees C at 233 observation points across the nation by mid-afternoon.
It hit a local record of 39.8 degrees C in the central city of Gujo Sunday afternoon, while in some parts of Tokyo the temperature rose past 37 degrees.
The weather agency issued a warning of extraordinary high temperatures for most regions of Japan’s main island.
“Risks of heatstrokes are particularly high,” it said, urging citizens to drink enough water and use curtains and air conditioning.
The education ministry has told schools to postpone outdoor activities on hot days. A six-year-old boy died of heatstroke last week after a school outing in sweltering weather.