Unity deal at risk if Abbas does not end sanctions: Hamas

A man holds a picture of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas during celebrations after Hamas said it reached a deal with Palestinian rival Fatah, in Gaza City on October 12, 2017. (Reuters)
Updated 17 October 2017
0

Unity deal at risk if Abbas does not end sanctions: Hamas

GAZA CITY: Hamas has warned that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’s delay in easing sanctions on Gaza was putting at risk a landmark unity deal signed last week.
“The continuation of the punitive measures against our people in Gaza a month after the dissolution of the administrative council spoils the general atmosphere for reconciliation,” a party spokesman said in a statement to Hamas media.
Hamas last month agreed to dissolve its administrative council, seen as a rival government in Gaza, and return civilian power in the enclave to the Palestinian Authority a decade after seizing it in a near civil war.
Chief among their demands, however, was that Abbas drop a series of measures taken against Gaza.
Among these were reductions in energy payments for the territory which left its 2 million residents with only a few hours of mains electricity per day.
Hamas is due to hand over Gaza’s border crossings by Nov. 1 ahead of a full transfer of power by Dec. 1.
The PA’s top border official visited Gaza on Monday.
Previous reconciliation agreements between Hamas and Abbas’ Fatah, based in the occupied West Bank, have collapsed over implementation of specific issues.
Security control of the Gaza Strip is expected to be a major stumbling block, with Hamas refusing to disarm its 25,000-strong armed wing.


France expels high-profile terror convict to Algeria

Updated 17 July 2018
0

France expels high-profile terror convict to Algeria

  • Djamel Beghal was expelled by France, ending years of wrangling over his fate
  • He was linked to the two men behind the deadly 2015 attacks on a French newsroom

ALGIERS: An Algerian-born man twice convicted in France on terror charges and for years a high-profile figure in the underground world of terrorism has been expelled to stand trial in his homeland.
Algeria’s official APS news agency says Djamel Beghal was expelled by France on Monday, ending years of wrangling over his fate. Beghal, 52, was linked to the two men behind the deadly 2015 attacks on a French newsroom in Paris and a Paris Kosher grocery store.
There was no official confirmation by France on his expulsion. APS, however, reported late Monday that Beghal was back in Algeria to stand trial for a 2003 conviction in absentia there.
A French court convicted Beghal in 2005 in a US Embassy attack plot and in 2010 for helping an inmate try to flee.