Police arrest suspect in double shooting that killed three

Radee Labeeb Prince, a suspect in the shooting deaths of three co-workers and critically injuring two others at a kitchen countertop company in Edgewood, Maryland, U.S., is shown in this handout photo provided by the Wilmington Police Department on Wednesday. October 18, 2017. (Reuters)
Updated 19 October 2017
0

Police arrest suspect in double shooting that killed three

WASHINGTON: Police arrested a man suspected of killing three people and wounding two on Wednesday at a Maryland business park before shooting another person in neighboring Delaware.
Radee Prince, 37, was caught as he fled on foot in Delaware after a manhunt that saw local Maryland schools in lockdown and the nearby set of Netflix drama House of Cards reportedly sealed off.
Police said the latest mass shooting to hit the United States was a “targeted attack.”
“At 7:05 p.m. (2305 GMT), a suspect was taken into police custody after a brief foot chase,” Wilmington, Delaware Police Chief Robert Tracy told a televised news conference.
Prince discarded a .380 caliber firearm during the chase — the same caliber used in the shootings, though ballistics testing still needs to be done to conclusively determine if it is the same weapon, Tracy said.
The police chief had earlier told reporters that Prince was “a dangerous individual. This person shot six people in one day,” in attacks that were not random.
Prince was sought “in connection with both a multiple shooting incident early this morning in Edgewood, Maryland and another shooting incident at mid-morning today” in Wilmington, a statement from police said.
Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said three people died in the first incident at a granite business just before 9:00 am (1300 GMT).
He confirmed a handgun was used and two other victims were transported to trauma centers in serious condition.
Gahler said Prince was associated with the company, Advanced Granite Solutions, where the first shooting occurred, near Baltimore.

“This does appear to be a targeted attack, limited to that business,” he said.
Police were investigating Prince’s connection with the firm, where all five victims of the first shooting were employed, Gahler said.
He said other people besides the five victims were on the premises when the shooting took place.
Tracy said the victim in the second shooting identified the gunman.
“They’re known to each other and they’ve had some past history,” he told a news conference.
The suspect fled the first attack in a car registered in Delaware, Gahler said.
Variety magazine reported that the set of “House of Cards,” which is partly filmed in Maryland, was placed on lockdown while police searched for the shooter.
The executive producer of the series, Dana Brunetti, said on Facebook: “Shooting near House of Cards set.”
Several schools in Maryland were also placed on lockdown while the shooter was still at large, officials said.
The incident was the latest mass shooting in a country where such killings have become tragically commonplace.
On October 1, a gunman in a 32nd-floor casino hotel room rained fire down on concert-goers in Las Vegas, killing 58 and wounding more than 500.
It was the deadliest shooting in recent US history.
The Las Vegas shooting sparked efforts to ban “bump stocks,” a device that allowed the firing of a semi-automatic rifle close to the rate of a fully automatic weapon.
But broader gun control measures remain staunchly opposed by Republicans, with the backing of the powerful National Rifle Association lobby.


India building collapse kills five

Updated 26 September 2018
0

India building collapse kills five

  • Rescuers combing the wreckage with sniffer dogs in Delhi’s north pulled out at least a dozen people who were trapped beneath the rubble
  • Millions live in dilapidated old buildings, many of which are susceptible to collapse during rain

NEW DELHI: Five people were killed Wednesday when an apartment block collapsed in New Delhi, crushing residents beneath mountains of concrete, in the latest building accident to hit India.
Rescuers combing the wreckage with sniffer dogs in Delhi’s north pulled out at least a dozen people who were trapped beneath the rubble.
“We can confirm the deaths of five people. Rescue teams at the site are still clearing the debris,” local police official Sarat Chandra Nirmal said.
An AFP photographer at the scene saw the bodies of two children being pulled from the rubble.
The block was located in a cramped, middle-class neighborhood where many buildings share common walls.
The Press Trust of India quoted an unnamed local official saying the building was 20-years-old and structurally unsound.
Other local media reported the fourth floor of the block was illegally constructed.
It is just the latest in a string of deadly building collapses in India.
In July, a six-story building collapsed on the outskirts of Delhi, killing nine.
Last year, a wall collapsed onto guests celebrating a wedding in Rajasthan state, killing two dozen people.
A massive influx of people to cities in search of jobs and a shortage of cheap housing has fueled the construction of illegal buildings across India. Many are built with sub-standard materials.
Millions also live in dilapidated old buildings, many of which are susceptible to collapse during rain.