Tarantino admits he knew of Weinstein complaints

Harvey Weinstein and Quentin Tarantino
Updated 20 October 2017
0

Tarantino admits he knew of Weinstein complaints

LOS ANGELES: Quentin Tarantino has admitted knowing for decades about Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct, confessing in an interview to feeling ashamed that he did not stop working with the mogul.
The explosive admission to The New York Times came with allegations of assault and harassment mounting against the disgraced Hollywood tycoon as Los Angeles police announced they were investigating a sixth sex attack allegation.
“I knew enough to do more than I did,” Oscar-winning Tarantino, 54, told the paper of his friend and mentor, citing several episodes involving prominent actresses.
“There was more to it than just the normal rumors, the normal gossip. It wasn’t secondhand. I knew he did a couple of these things.”
Weinstein, 65, is accused of decades of sexual abuse and harassment by around 40 actresses, including stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Mira Sorvino, Tarantino’s ex-girlfriend.
The veteran producer, who resigned from the board of The Weinstein Company this week, having already been sacked as its co-chairman, has so far denied all allegations of forcing himself on his accusers.
Tarantino said in the Times interview that he had heard about Weinstein’s behavior long before investigations by that paper and the New Yorker which prompted a flood of further allegations.
“I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard. If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him,” Tarantino said.
Sorvino, who dated the director in the mid-1990s, told him Weinstein had made unwanted advances while another actress made similar allegations years later that Tarantino also knew about, according to the Times.
The director said he was also aware that Weinstein had settled with the actress Rose McGowan.


Out of Cambodian jail, filmmaker strolls on beach back home

Australian filmmaker James Ricketson, third left, walks with his daughter Roxanne Holmes, second left, after his arrival at Sydney International Airport, Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018. (AP)
Updated 4 min 44 sec ago
0

Out of Cambodian jail, filmmaker strolls on beach back home

  • James Ricketson (69) was sentenced on Aug. 31 to six years in a trial his sympathizers described as farcical

CANBERRA, Australia: Australian filmmaker James Ricketson took a stroll on a Sydney beach at dawn as he recuperates from more than a year in a Cambodian prison.
Ricketson landed in Sydney on Sunday night two days after his 15-month stint in a Phnom Penh prison ended with clemency granted by Cambodian King Norodom Sihamoni.
His nephew Bim Ricketson said on Monday the imprisonment had taken a toll on his uncle’s health.
The 69-year-old filmmaker was sentenced on Aug. 31 to six years in a trial his sympathizers described as farcical.