Trump says US ‘totally prepared’ for potential NKorea threat

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with Governor Ricardo Rossello of Puerto Rico in the Oval Office of the White House, in this Oct. 19, 2017 photo, in Washington. (AP)
Updated 23 October 2017
0

Trump says US ‘totally prepared’ for potential NKorea threat

WASHINGTON: The United States is “totally prepared” to respond to threats from Pyongyang, US President Donald Trump said in an interview aired Sunday, while also emphasizing his “exceptional relationship” with China’s leader.
“We’re so prepared like you wouldn’t believe,” Trump told the Fox News program Sunday Morning Futures while discussing tensions with North Korea, which have soared over Pyongyang’s nuclear program.
“You would be shocked to see how totally prepared we are if we need to be,” said Trump, who has in recent months engaged in a fiery verbal tit-for-tat with North Korea’s leader.
“Would it be nice not to do that? The answer is yes,” Trump went on, appearing to allude to potential conflict.
“Will that happen? Who knows,” the US president said.
The North has drawn international ire in recent months for conducting a sixth nuclear test and tests of long-range missiles capable of striking the US mainland.
Asked about US policy toward China, the North’s longtime ally, Trump praised Beijing for “helping” the US by enforcing sanctions against Pyongyang.
“He’s for China. And I’m for the US,” he said of Chinese President Xi Jinping. “But we do have a very good — I would say an exceptional relationship. And China’s really helping us. With respect to North Korea.”
“China is big stuff,” he added, saying Xi has “got the power to do something very significant with respect to North Korea.”
In a separate development, former US president Jimmy Carter told The New York Times he has offered to go to North Korea on behalf of the White House to try to allay rising tensions, though he has not been asked.
The 93-year-old Democrat, who was president from 1977 to 1981, said he had told the Republican president’s National Security Adviser HR McMaster that he “was available if they ever need me.”


India building collapse kills five

Updated 26 September 2018
0

India building collapse kills five

  • Rescuers combing the wreckage with sniffer dogs in Delhi’s north pulled out at least a dozen people who were trapped beneath the rubble
  • Millions live in dilapidated old buildings, many of which are susceptible to collapse during rain

NEW DELHI: Five people were killed Wednesday when an apartment block collapsed in New Delhi, crushing residents beneath mountains of concrete, in the latest building accident to hit India.
Rescuers combing the wreckage with sniffer dogs in Delhi’s north pulled out at least a dozen people who were trapped beneath the rubble.
“We can confirm the deaths of five people. Rescue teams at the site are still clearing the debris,” local police official Sarat Chandra Nirmal said.
An AFP photographer at the scene saw the bodies of two children being pulled from the rubble.
The block was located in a cramped, middle-class neighborhood where many buildings share common walls.
The Press Trust of India quoted an unnamed local official saying the building was 20-years-old and structurally unsound.
Other local media reported the fourth floor of the block was illegally constructed.
It is just the latest in a string of deadly building collapses in India.
In July, a six-story building collapsed on the outskirts of Delhi, killing nine.
Last year, a wall collapsed onto guests celebrating a wedding in Rajasthan state, killing two dozen people.
A massive influx of people to cities in search of jobs and a shortage of cheap housing has fueled the construction of illegal buildings across India. Many are built with sub-standard materials.
Millions also live in dilapidated old buildings, many of which are susceptible to collapse during rain.