Saudi-funded SR100m epilepsy hospital opens in Colombo today

The 10-story hospital in Colombo is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities.
Updated 24 October 2017
0

Saudi-funded SR100m epilepsy hospital opens in Colombo today

RIYADH: Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena will open a 242-bed epilepsy hospital, which is fully funded by the Saudi Fund for Development (SFD), in Colombo on Tuesday.
The SR100 million ($26.7 million), 10-story hospital consists of a surgical theater, an intensive care unit, a high-dependency unit, 242-bed male and female wards, and an auditorium for capacity building for the country’s medical staff.
The SFD recently financed an additional SR48 million to buy all necessary equipment including a CT scanner, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) equipment, physical therapy devices and medical furniture.
A four-member SFD delegation has left for Colombo to take part in the event, which will also be attended by Health Minister Dr. Rajitha Senaratne.
The Saudi team comprises Fawzi Al-Saud, director general of operations; Abdulla Al-Shedokhi, adviser; Bandar Al-Otaibi, engineer from the technical department; and Meshal Al-Najashi, loan researcher at the legal department.
Sri Lankan Ambassador Azmi Thassim told Arab News that SFD's support helped fulfill a long-standing need of the island nation.
He recalled that the fund has been supporting Sri Lankan projects for more than three decades.
“We were able to complete major projects such as the Kinniya bridge with its assistance,” he added.


Egyptian pilgrim who lost loved ones in Al-Rawda attack praises King Salman’s invitation

Updated 19 August 2018
0

Egyptian pilgrim who lost loved ones in Al-Rawda attack praises King Salman’s invitation

MAKKAH: An Egyptian Hajj pilgrim has spoken about how being a guest of King Salman on pilgrimage has helped him cope with the pain of losing three of his sons and his brother in a terrorist attack last year.
Mustafa Hamdan Salama, 64, lost his loved ones during an attack on Al-Rawda mosque on 24 November in Egypt’s North Sinai province, an incident in which 305 people were killed — including 27 children — and 128 were injured.
The attack on worshipers at Al-Rawda mosque is the bloodiest in Egypt’s history.
Salama was invited as part of King Salman’s initiative for families of wounded personnel in the Egyptian army and police to perform the Hajj pilgrimage and Umrah each year.
When asked what the initiative meant to him, Salama said the invitation gave him “feelings of joy and pleasure” about King Salman’s offer to all Muslims and Egyptians in particular.
“It is not surprising from the leader of the Islamic nation, who stands with us at all times,” he added.