Kevin Spacey to be erased from Sony film about Getty kidnapping: reports

Actor Kevin Spacey arrives at the premiere of Netflix’s television series “House of Cards” at Alice Tully Hall in the Lincoln Center in New York City (Reuters/Stephen Chernin)
Updated 09 November 2017
0

Kevin Spacey to be erased from Sony film about Getty kidnapping: reports

LOS ANGELES: The director and producers of the completed but unreleased Hollywood film “All the Money in the World” have chosen to remove Kevin Spacey from the movie, recast his role and reshoot his scenes following sexual misconduct allegations against the actor.
The extraordinary measure to erase a leading actor from a completed major studio picture and reconstruct the film without him was reported by three major Hollywood trade publications — Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline Hollywood.
A source close to the distributor of the film, Sony Pictures, told Reuters the accounts were accurate.
Spacey will be replaced by veteran actor Christopher Plummer in the role of the late US oil tycoon, Jean Paul Getty, in the Ridley Scott-directed drama about the 1973 kidnapping of his then teenage grandson, John Paul Getty III, the three publications reported.
Sony Pictures also withdrew the movie from the American Film Institute’s (AFI) annual festival in Los Angeles on Nov. 16. The film is expected to open on Dec. 22, Variety reported.
Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams, who also star in the movie, are expected to be involved with the reshoots. Sources told Variety that Spacey shot about two weeks worth of footage and that there are many scenes where Getty is the only character.
The reshooting comes after actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of trying to seduce him in 1986 when Rapp was 14. Spacey has said he does not remember the incident but has apologized. According to his representatives he is seeking unspecified treatment.
Eight current and former employees of the Netflix TV show “House of Cards,” who were not identified, also have accused Spacey, the star of the show, of sexual misconduct, CNN has reported.
It said it would not be involved in further production of “House of Cards” with Spacey, who reportedly had been suspended from the political show. Netflix has said it also will not release the film “Gore,” in which Spacey plays the late US writer Gore Vidal.


Mystery Egypt sarcophagus found not to house Alexander the Great’s remains

Mostafa Wazir, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, inspects the site of the newly discovered giant black sarcophagus in Sidi Gaber district of Alexandria, Egypt July 19, 2018 in this handout photo courtesy of the Ministry of Antiquities. (REUTERS)
Updated 20 July 2018
0

Mystery Egypt sarcophagus found not to house Alexander the Great’s remains

  • The unmarked tomb in Alexandria did not likely belong to any other notable ruler in the Ptolemaic period (332 BC-30 BC) associated with Alexander the Great, or the subsequent Roman era
  • The location of the remains of Alexander the Great, who died in 323 BC in Babylon, remains a mystery

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt: Egyptian archaeologists on Thursday dashed local hopes that a newly discovered ancient sarcophagus might contain the remains of Alexander the Great, finding instead the mummies of what appeared to be a family of three.
Workmen inadvertently unearthed the approximately 2,000-year-old black granite sealed sarcophagus this month during the construction of an apartment building in the historic Mediterranean port city of Alexandria.
The 30-ton coffin is the largest yet found in Alexandria, prompting a swirl of theories in local and international media that it may be the resting place of the ancient Greek ruler who in 331 BC founded the city that still bears his name.
Egypt’s antiquities ministry had vigorously dismissed the chances of finding Alexander’s remains inside the 30-ton sarcophagus and on Thursday its skepticism was vindicated.
“We found the bones of three people, in what looks like a family burial... Unfortunately the mummies inside were not in the best condition and only the bones remain,” Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, told reporters at the site.
Waziri said some of the remains had disintegrated because sewage water from a nearby building had leaked into the sarcophagus through a small crack in one of the sides.
The location of the remains of Alexander the Great, who died in 323 BC in Babylon, remains a mystery.
The sarcophagus in Alexandria is the latest of a series of interesting archaeological finds this year in Egypt that include a 4,400-year-old tomb in Giza and an ancient necropolis in Minya, south of Cairo.
The unmarked tomb in Alexandria did not likely belong to any other notable ruler in the Ptolemaic period (332 BC-30 BC) associated with Alexander the Great, or the subsequent Roman era, Waziri said.
The prospect of opening the long-sealed sarcophagus had stirred fears in Egyptian media that it could unleash a 1,000-year curse.
“We’ve opened it and, thank God, the world has not fallen into darkness, said Waziri.
“I was the first to put my whole head inside the sarcophagus... and here I stand before you ... I am fine.”