Amal Clooney to co-chair Met Gala
Amal Clooney to co-chair Met Gala
Held every year on the first Monday in May, the black-tie extravaganza is the chief source of income for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute, reportedly raising more than $13 million in 2016.
Tickets are said to cost $30,000 each or $275,000 for a table, ruling out all but the most elite coterie of A-list Hollywood actors, best-selling music superstars, top models and fashion designers.
Clooney — the 39-year-old British-Lebanese wife of Hollywood heartthrob George and new mother of twins — is feted as much for her fashion sense as her work as an international human rights lawyer.
Rihanna, 29, needs no introduction as one of the biggest pop stars on the planet, also lauded for her bold style, and Versace is the 62-year-old legendary Italian designer and sister of Gianni, who was murdered in Miami in 1997.
Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour — who has singlehandedly transformed the ball into the hottest ticket in town — is also co-chair of the event, which will be held on May 7.
But there is one person definitely not invited. Wintour told “Late Late Show” host James Corden last month that she would never invite back Donald Trump — who has attended with wife Melania in the past, before he was elected US president.
Wintour was a prominent Hillary Clinton fundraiser.
The theme is “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” which the Museum also announced is the title of next year’s exhibition at The Costume Institute.
The exhibition, which will open May 10, will feature papal robes and accessories flown from the Vatican that will serve as the “cornerstone” and showcase the influence of liturgical vestments on designers, the museum said.
Designers in the exhibition will include Balenciaga, Chanel, Givenchy, Karl Lagerfeld, the Versaces and Vivienne Westwood.
Oman supermarket manager sacks employee for insulting Kerala flood victims
- Hundreds of people have died in the floods that have devastated entire areas of Kerala
- The man was responding to an offer to send help to flood victims when he posted the insults
DUBAI: A supermarket manager in Oman sacked a cashier after they posted insulting comments about the Kerala flood victims on social media, national daily, Times of Oman reported.
The cashier – who is also from Kerala - was replying to a post on Facebook in which someone had asked about sending supplies to the worst hit areas of the southern Indian state.
At least 400 people have been killed and hundreds of thousands have been displaced in the floods that have devastated vast areas of the Indian state.
The man’s comments – which the newspaper described as “insulting” – caused a backlash, with people slamming the man for his insensitivity.
Eventually his post was spotted by his employers and a letter was sent, announcing his termination from the company, the report added.
“This is to inform you that we have terminated you from services with immediate effect because of your highly insensitive and derogatory comments on social media with regard to the current flood situation in Kerala, India,” the letter stated.
The man has since tried to apologize, claiming in a video he posted on Facebook that he was intoxicated from unspecified substances.
He said in this video: “I apologize to everyone in Kerala. Because of my foolishness, a mistake happened on my behalf. I request everyone to forgive me. After that comment, my friends and others have been abusing me on Facebook.”