Cricket star Gayle seeks to cash in on Australia court win

West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle. (AAP/Brendan Esposito/via Reuters)
Updated 10 November 2017
0

Cricket star Gayle seeks to cash in on Australia court win

SYDNEY: West Indies cricket superstar Chris Gayle is seeking to cash in on a court case win against an Australian media group, promising a tell-all interview — but only if the price is right.
The all-rounder was accused by Fairfax Media, publisher of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, in a series of stories last year of exposing his penis to a massage therapist and indecently propositioning her.
But a NSW Supreme Court jury ruled a defamation case in his favor late last month, finding the articles were motivated by malice.
A hearing on damages will be held at a later date, but Gayle is already offering his story for a starting price of $300,000.
“I have a very interested (sic) successful story to tell!! It can be an exclusive 60mins interview or y’all just have to wait on my next book!,” he tweeted to his 3.75 million Twitter followers Friday.
“It’s about what transpired in court and behind the scenes in Australia, how they went to bigger heads to get me ban...
“How they want to use me as a scapegoat over a interview — I’ll tell you what I do every day after court, believe me, when I break this down to y’all it will be like a movie! No holding back!
“Biding (sic) starts at $300K for this interview! So much to say & I will!“
Fairfax published the allegations in the wake of an uproar after Gayle attempted to flirt with an Australian presenter on live TV, asking her out for a drink and telling her: “Don’t blush, baby.”
Speaking after the trial, Gayle said the case had been “very emotional.”
“I’m a good man. I’m not guilty,” he said.
Fairfax has yet to announce whether it will appeal the ruling.


Maurizio Sarri wants to meet Eden Hazard to discuss Chelsea future

Updated 18 July 2018
0

Maurizio Sarri wants to meet Eden Hazard to discuss Chelsea future

  • Maurizio Sarri says Eden Hazard is one of the top two or three players in Europe and he wants to meet the Belgium forward
  • Hazard is taking time off after the World Cup along with Belgium teammate Thibaut Courtois

LONDON: Chelsea coach Maurizio Sarri says Eden Hazard is one of the top two or three players in Europe and he wants to meet the Belgium forward face-to-face to discuss his future.
Hazard said at the World Cup in Russia that “it might be time to discover something different“ after spending the last six years with Chelsea. He has been linked with a move to European champion Real Madrid, which recently sold Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus.
Hazard is taking time off after the World Cup along with Belgium teammate Thibaut Courtois, whose future is also the matter of some debate.
Sarri says he doesn’t just want to phone the players who have yet to return to preseason training because a “telephone call without looking in their eyes will not give any certainty. I want to meet them face-to-face and understand what’s the best thing to do for everyone.”
Sarri says Hazard is “one of the top two or three European players,” adding that he hopes “to improve Hazard but that will be difficult.”
In his first news conference as Chelsea coach since joining from Napoli, Sarri said he will play in a “slightly different way” to predecessor Antonio Conte, who won the Premier League in his first season and FA Cup in his second after changing to a three-man defense.
Chelsea has already signed holding midfielder Jorginho from Napoli this offseason. Sarri says he would like more quality in the midfield area to fit his preferred approach, while adding that he could also adapt to the players he currently has in the squad.
Chelsea didn’t qualify for this season’s Champions League.