Drone strike in Somalia kills ‘several militants’

Residents walk at the scene of a blast on October 29, 2017, a day after two car bombs exploded in Mogadishu. On Thursday, a US drone strike killed “several" Al-Shabab militants in Somalia on Thursday afternoon, the US Africa Command said on Friday. (AFP / Mohamed Abdiwahab/File photo)
Updated 10 November 2017
0

Drone strike in Somalia kills ‘several militants’

MOGADISHU: A US drone strike killed “several militants” with Al-Shabab in Somalia, the military said, as the Trump administration increasingly targets what has become the deadliest Islamic extremist group in Africa.
The strike was carried out Thursday afternoon in the Bay Region, about 160 km west of the capital, Mogadishu, according to a statement by the US Africa Command. A spokeswoman told The Associated Press that no civilians were anywhere near the strike.
The US military says it has carried out 22 airstrikes this year against the Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab and the smaller Daesh presence in Somalia after the Trump administration approved expanded military efforts.
The US says the latest airstrike, like others, occurred in cooperation with Somalia’s government.
Earlier this month the US military carried out its first airstrikes in Somalia against Daesh, which is a small but growing presence in the northern part of the Horn of Africa nation. Many of its fighters are reported to be former Al-Shabab members who switched allegiances.
The Somalia-based Al-Shabab has been blamed for the massive truck bombing in Mogadishu that killed more than 350 people in the country’s worst-ever attack. The extremist group often targets high-profile areas such as hotels in the capital.
While Somalia’s president has vowed a “state of war” in response to last month’s attack, concern is growing about the gradual security handover that has begun from a 22,000-strong African Union force to Somali national forces.
The AU this week announced the beginning of its withdrawal from the long-chaotic and still heavily fractured nation, saying it will cut 1,000 troops by the end of the year.
The AU pullout is set to be complete by the end of 2020.


Qatar pledges to invest $15 billion into Turkey

Updated 12 min 57 sec ago
0

Qatar pledges to invest $15 billion into Turkey

  • The promise of an investment package comes after Qatar’s Emir met with President Erdogan
  • The Turkish currency has lost nearly 40 percent against the dollar this year

ANKARA: Turkey has announced that Qatar has pledged to invest $15 billion into Turkish financial markets and banks, a government source told Reuters on Wednesday.
The promise of an investment package comes after Qatar’s Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani met with President Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara and as Turkey comes to terms with a collapse in the lira amid rising tensions with NATO ally the US.
The Turkish currency has lost nearly 40 percent against the dollar this year, driven by worries over Erdogan’s growing influence on the economy and his repeated calls for lower interest rates despite high inflation.
Following the announcement, the lira firmed briefly from 6.04 to 5.8699 to the dollar, but later eased back to 6.0200 on Wednesday afternoon.
It had rebounded some 6 percent on Wednesday after the central bank squeezed lira liquidity in the market, effectively pushing up rates and supporting the currency.
Erdogan’s spokesman praised the move on Twitter, tweeting: “The fundamentals of the Turkish economy are robust and Turkey will emerge stronger from this process,” Ibrahim Kalin wrote.
Qatar has moved closer to countries like Turkey and Iran after Saudi Arabia and other Arab states severed diplomatic, trade and travel ties with the Gulf state last year, accusing it of financing terrorism.