Shakira cancels first appearance of El Dorado World Tour

Shakira and Gerard Piqué in this file photo. (Reuters)
Updated 10 November 2017
0

Shakira cancels first appearance of El Dorado World Tour

JEDDAH: Doctors have advised Shakira not to perform in the first concert of her “El Dorado World Tour” which was scheduled to be held on Nov. 8, according to Sayidaty and Hello magazines.
The 40-year-old singing sensation announced the news through her official account on Instagram saying she has pain in her vocal cords preventing her from holding the concert on time.
Shakira said: “My doctors have ordered me on vocal rest to avoid any greater damage that could keep me from performing.”
The El Dorado World Tour is the upcoming sixth world tour by the Colombian singer, and will be staged in support of her 11th studio album “El Dorado.” Comprising 36 shows so far, the tour will visit Europe and North America, with confirmed Latin American dates to be announced later.
The pop star also wrote a message which she posted on both her official website on Nov. 7 and her Instagram account in both English and Spanish.
“I am focusing on recovering now to be able to kick off on November 10th in Paris, as soon as I get the green light from my doctors,” she shared. “Thanks as always from the bottom of my heart for all the support and love you’ve shown me heading into this tour. I hope to make it worth the wait and see you all very soon!”
Shakira was rumored to have separated from her lover Barcelona player Gerard Pique. Gerard Piqué Bernabéu is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as a center-back for FC Barcelona and the Spanish national team.


South Sudan surgeon wins UN prize for treating war-hit refugees

Updated 25 September 2018
0

South Sudan surgeon wins UN prize for treating war-hit refugees

  • South Sudan, the world’s youngest country, has been ravaged by civil war since 2013 after clashes erupted between troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar
  • At least 50,000 people have been killed and one in three South Sudanese have been uprooted from their homes

NAIROBI: A South Sudanese surgeon, who has spent two decades helping the sick and injured in the war-torn east African nation, was on Tuesday announced the winner of a UN prize for treating tens of thousands of people forced to flee violence and persecution.
Evan Atar Adaha — a 52-year-old doctor who runs the only hospital in northeastern Maban county — was given the 2018 Nansen Refugee Award for his “humanity and selflessness” where he often risked his safety to serve others, the UN said.
“I feel very humbled. I hope this award can help draw attention to the plight of refugees especially here in Africa where they are often forgotten about,” Adaha told the Thomson Reuters Foundation in an interview.
“You may hear and read about them, but it’s only when you are face-to-face with people who have left everything and are sick with malaria, or are malnourished, or have a bullet wound that you realize how desperate the need for help is.” Nansen Refugee Awardees are recognized by the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) for dedicating their time to help people forced from their homes. Former awardees include Eleanor Roosevelt and Luciano Pavarotti.
South Sudan, the world’s youngest country, has been ravaged by civil war since 2013 after clashes erupted between troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar.
The government recently signed a peace agreement with rebels, but the five-year-long war has had a devastating impact.
At least 50,000 people have been killed and one in three South Sudanese have been uprooted from their homes. The country also hosts around 300,000 refugees fleeing violence in neighboring Sudan, according to the UN.
Adaha, known locally as Dr. Atar, has been running Maban hospital — which was once an abandoned health clinic — in the northeastern town of Bunj since 2011.
When he first arrived, he said there was no operating theater and he had to stack tables to create a work area.
Over the years, he has transformed the hospital and created a maternity ward and nutrition center, as well as training young people as nurses and midwives.
The 120-bed hospital now serves around 200,000 people living in Maban county — 70 percent of whom are refugees from Sudan — and conducts about 60 operations weekly but under very difficult circumstances.
Adaha said the only x-ray machine is broken, the operating theater has only one light, and electricity is provided by generators that often break down.
Although the hospital receives support from UNHCR, Adaha said a lack of funds remains his biggest challenge to treating everyone who needs help. “In the hospital, we will treat anyone. It doesn’t matter if you are a rebel, government soldier, refugee or a local person. We have pregnant women, malnourished children and even people who are wounded by bullets,” Adaha said.
“The one rule we have is that no weapons are allowed in the hospital. If you bring a weapon, then we will not treat you. Sometimes it is difficult, but most people now agree.”
The Nansen Refugee Award ceremony takes place on Oct. 1 in Geneva, and the winner will receive $150,000 to fund a project complementing their work.