Saudi national missing in Lebanon; embassy in touch with authorities

Lebanese President Michel Aoun meets with Waleed Bukhari, Charge d' Affaires of the Saudi Embassy in Lebanon, at the presidential palace in Baabda, Lebanon, on Friday, November 10, 2017. The Embassy is in touch with Lebanese security authorities to determine the whereabouts of a missing Saudi citizen. (Dalati Nohra/Handout via Reuters)
Updated 11 November 2017
0

Saudi national missing in Lebanon; embassy in touch with authorities

JEDDAH: The Saudi Embassy in Lebanon is in touch with the Lebanese security authorities to determine the whereabouts of a missing Saudi citizen.

In a statement issued on Friday via the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), the embassy said it "is in contact with the Lebanese security authorities at the highest levels in order to release unconditionally the kidnapped Saudi citizen as soon as possible."

The Associated Press quoted Lebanese police officials as saying that search operations are ongoing to find him.

The officials say that Syrian citizen, Ivine Hassan, informed police that her Saudi husband, Ali Shamrawi, had been missing since Thursday night, adding that he went missing north of Beirut. The Saudi man lives in Lebanon.

It was not immediately clear if the kidnapping was related to rising tensions between Lebanon and Saudi Arabia because of last week's resignation of Prime Minister Saad Al-Hariri.

Interior Minister Nohad Machnouk was quoted as saying by local media outlets on Friday that the safety of all foreigners was a priority for authorities, adding that the stability of Lebanon was a "red line."

Some local TV stations said Shamrawi's family had received a call from unknown persons demanding a ransom of $1 million in exchange for Shamrawi's release.


Houthi militias deny 40 relief ships access to Hodeidah Port — Saudi-led coalition

Updated 26 April 2018
0

Houthi militias deny 40 relief ships access to Hodeidah Port — Saudi-led coalition

  • Col. Turki Al-Maliki: Houthi militia have launched more than 125 ballistic missiles towards Saudi Arabia's territories.
  • Most of the missiles were intercepted by Saudi Arabia's air defence systems.

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition backing Yemen's legitimate government on Wednesday accused Houthi rebels of blocking 40 relief ships from entering the port of Hodeidah.

In a press conference in Riyadh, Col. Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition spokesperson, also said that ridding Yemen of the Houthi militia's number two man, Saleh al-Samad, was an important development.

Al-Maliki said that al-Samad was responsible for threatening Saudi Arabia’s peace and and security, disrupting maritime traffic in the Bab Al-Mandab Strait, and the continued suffering of millions of Yemenis. 

The rebels, who are backed by Iran, had launched more than 125 ballistic missiles toward Saudi Arabia’s territories, most of which had been intercepted by the Kingdom's air defense systems, he said. 

Al-Maliki said the Houthis have also launched more than 66,000 projectiles toward the Yemen's border with Saudi Arabia.

He reiterated the coalition's commitment to help Yemenis. He said the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Aid (KSRelief) has delivered food, medicines and clothing to more than 3 million Yemenis since the coalition .