Data firm CEO: Reached out to WikiLeaks about Clinton emails

CEO of Cambridge Analytica, Alexander Nix, speaks during the Web Summit, Europe's biggest tech conference, in Lisbon, Portugal, in this November 9, 2017 photo. (REUTERS)
Updated 11 November 2017
0

Data firm CEO: Reached out to WikiLeaks about Clinton emails

WASHINGTON: The CEO of a data firm that worked for President Donald Trump’s campaign says he reached out to WikiLeaks during the campaign about obtaining emails related to Democrat Hillary Clinton.
Alexander Nix, CEO of Cambridge Analytica, says the outreach was in “early June 2016” after WikiLeaks Editor Julian Assange had publicly claimed he had Clinton emails and planned to publish them. Nix says his firm asked a speaker’s agency for Assange if he “might share that information.” But he says Assange turned him down.
Nix’s comments Thursday at the Web Summit technology conference in Lisbon, Portugal, were his first acknowledgement of the outreach.
Assange had previously told The Associated Press that WikiLeaks had rejected a “request for information” from Cambridge Analytica. The Wall Street Journal first reported Nix’s comments.


Pyongyang may soon return US soldier remains

Updated 20 June 2018
0

Pyongyang may soon return US soldier remains

  • The North is believed to have the remains of more than 200 American service members
  • Trump raised the likelihood of the repatriation of remains

WASHINGTON: North Korea may soon return a first out of 200 sets of remains of American soldiers who died during the Korean War, after an agreement reached last week by Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump, a US official said Tuesday.
“Preparations continue” to receive the remains, the US official told AFP on condition of anonymity. “It could happen in the next few days.”
The US and North Korean leaders agreed to the repatriations during their historic June 12 summit in Singapore.
“On several occasions in the past, DPRK officials have indicated they possess as many as 200 sets of remains they had recovered over the years,” the Pentagon said in factsheet updated Monday about those reported missing in action during the Korean War of 1950-1953.
“The commitment established within the Joint Statement between President Trump and Chairman Kim would repatriate these as was done in the early 1990s and would reinforce the humanitarian aspects of this mission.”
The document used the acronym for North Korea’s formal name.
More than 35,000 Americans were killed on the Korean Peninsula during the war, which ended in an armistice with no peace treaty.
Among them, 7,700 are still considered missing, including 5,300 in North Korea alone, according to the Pentagon.
Between 1990 and 2005, the United States was granted the repatriation of 229 sets of remains from the North under an earlier agreement that was subsequently suspended when ties between the two countries deteriorated.