Israel deploys rocket defense amid threats

Israeli soldiers stand guard next to an Iron Dome defense system, designed to intercept and destroy incoming short-range rockets and artillery shells, deployed in central Israel, on Tuesday, November 14, 2017. (AFP)
Updated 14 November 2017
0

Israel deploys rocket defense amid threats

JERUSALEM: Israel’s military said it deployed a rocket defense system to the center of the country amid threats by Gaza militants.
It said on Tuesday that an Iron Dome battery was deployed, without elaborating. The system defends against short-range rockets, and intercepted hundreds of projectiles fired by Palestinian militants during the 2014 Gaza war.
The move follows a warning by Israel’s prime minister and military to Gaza militants against attacks.
Islamic Jihad, an Iran-backed militant group in Gaza, has vowed revenge for the demolition of one of its attack tunnels last month that crossed into Israel.
It was a rare flare-up along the tense border, which has remained mostly quiet since the 2014 Israel-Hamas war.
During the fighting, Gaza gunmen on several occasions infiltrated Israel through a tunnel network.
Probe into drone company
Israeli police have opened an investigation into an Israeli drone company regarding its dealings with a “significant client.”
Police did not elaborate in their statement about Yavne-based Aeronautics Ltd. on Tuesday and said a gag order had been imposed on the case.
Earlier this year, the Defense Ministry suspended some of Aeronautics Ltd.’s export licenses to one of its clients abroad. Israeli media identified the client as Azerbaijan.
Reports at the time said the move came following a complaint that one of the drones, armed with explosives, landed near a military post in neighboring Armenia during a demonstration. The “suicide” or Kamikaze drones carry explosives and are designed to dive into their targets.
Aeronautics Ltd. said it will fully cooperate with police and hope the investigation will be swift.


Letter to Qatar: Abandon PR, change attitude, and siege would be lifted

Updated 18 min 21 sec ago
0

Letter to Qatar: Abandon PR, change attitude, and siege would be lifted

LONDON: Four Arab ambassadors have called on Qatar to improve relations with its neighbors, change its attitude and stop its support for extremism, terror and destabilization in the region.

The four ambassadors of Saudi Arabia (Mohammed bin Nawwa), Bahrain (Fawaz bin Mohammed Al-Khalifa), the UAE (Suleiman Al-Mazroui) and Egypt (Nasser Kamel) co-wrote a letter published on Wednesday in the Financial Times to answer an FT lead article titled “Qatar siege is meaningless.”

The ambassadors stressed in the letter that their governments had no plans to incorporate Qatar, as the FT claimed, but all they hoped for is that the Doha government committed to the international criteria to fight terrorism and “stop its support for terror and extremism in the region.”

In the letter, the four ambassadors reminded the paper that the prime minister of Qatar attended the wedding of the son of Abdel Rahman Al-Nueimi,who is listed on a US terror list, and is the main conduit to Al-Qaeda in Iraq where, according to the US, he funnelled millions of US dollars to the organization there.

The ambassadors added that Al-Nueimi is one of many sponsors of terror living and working in Qatar.

The ambassadors drew the readers’ attention to Qatar’s “double standard behavior” — saying one thing to the West, and doing the opposite.

They concluded the letter by demonstrating Qatar’s “duplicity.”

They said that Qatar has recently intensified the use of its media and PR to promote and support terror in the Middle East generally and in Saudi Arabia especially.

Recently Qatari broadcasters opened their airwaves to Houthi militia in Yemen and its propaganda calling for attacking Saudi Arabia.

In conclusion the ambassadors called on Doha to quit its public relations campaign and change its attitude — only then would the siege be over.